Phosphate Binding

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

scrubjay
Project Question: What is the appropriate pretreatment membrane for a nanofiltration membrane in an urban vernal marsh environment? What are the flux rates for pretreatment filters(Microfiltration and Utrafiltration) for different locations within the marsh at different times of year?
Project Due Date: 3/9/09
Project Status: I am conducting my research

Phosphate Binding

Post by scrubjay »

Hi,

From my previous research I have found that calcium carbonate chemically bonds with phosphate and reduces the phosphates. What is the chemical equation for this? CaCO2 + PO3 --> ?

Thanks
Andrew
agm
Former Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Phosphate Binding

Post by agm »

Hi Andrew,

If you've been googling "calcium carbonate phosphate reaction" or "CaCO2 + PO3" (which were my first moves), the problem you're having is the definition of phosphate. Check this out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phosphate

Basically, "phosphate" isn't a specific compound, it's a class of compounds in which a P atom is at the center with four oxygens surrounding it. Up to three of these oxygens can each be attached to an additional atom or functional group, so you can have calcium monophosphate, calcium triphosphate, etc. There is also a phosphate ion, PO<sub>4</sub><sup>3-</sup>. And some other varieties -- see the Wikipedia entry or search elsewhere.

Does your source say what kind of phosphate is involved? If not, what's the context -- a biological system, soil, water pollution, other? That might help you or us figure it out.

Another possible issue: When you say "reduces the phosphates", do you mean reduces the amount of phosphate present by changing it into something else, or reduce in the chemical reaction sense? [ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reduction_(chemistry) ]

Hope that helps, and please do ask more questions if you still can't figure it out!

Amanda
agm
Former Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Phosphate Binding

Post by agm »

Oops, the form doesn't like html.

PO<sub>4</sub><sup>3-</sup>

is PO4 with a net charge of 3-.

Return to “Grades 9-12: Physical Science”