Chemical Research

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

emmelyn

Chemical Research

Post by emmelyn »

I'm having trouble formulating a research project simply because I've been looking online and I cannot find information on reduction or riddance of bisphenol A or phthalate in the body. There are several tips on getting rid of products containing those chemicals, however I want to reduce the levels of the chemicals after I have injected doses of them into samples of human tissue or cells. Any ideas?
MelissaB

Re: Chemical Research

Post by MelissaB »

Interesting question! You might want to try to get the following paper from a library. It contains a lot of technical terms, so if you need help understanding anything, let us know. It's also specific to BPA, but I think phthalates work in similar manners.

Author(s): Vandenberg LN (Vandenberg, Laura N.), Hauser R (Hauser, Russ), Marcus M (Marcus, Michele), Olea N (Olea, Nicolas), Welshons WV (Welshons, Wade V.)
Source: REPRODUCTIVE TOXICOLOGY Volume: 24 Issue: 2 Pages: 139-177 Published: AUG-SEP 2007
Human exposure to bisphenol A (BPA)

What the article says is that in rats, most BPA in the diet is excreted in feces and urine. The next most important method of metabolizing BPA into a non-reactive compound is a process called 'glucuronidation', which happens in the liver. An enzyme catalyzes this process, and this appears to be the most important metabolic pathway in humans.

This is a fairly complicated project, and if you are interested in it I would suggest contacting local universities to see if anyone works on estrogen mimics and asking if they would be willing to mentor you. You will need access to laboratory equipment, etc. that will be easier for them to get than for you to get. Also, you should check with your science fair to see whether or not they allow you to use human tissue samples--there are usually rules governing the use of animal/human tissues/products in science fairs.
emmelyn

Post by emmelyn »

I now have another question still concerned with BPA.

I have been looking at some BPA research articles and none of them really state how much blood they use during their BPA detection tests. Do you happen to know how much they use?

Also, I'm wondering how much blood is extracted onto the papers for newborn screening tests.

Thank you!
barretttomlinson
Former Expert

Post by barretttomlinson »

Hi,

As far as I can tell the sample size is “a few drops “. My authority is

http://www.webmd.com/parenting/news/200 ... since-2005

Best wishes,

Barrett Tomlinson

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”