Maglev

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

ib_n8
Project Question: Magnetism
Project Due Date: Nov. 17ish??
Project Status: I am just starting

Maglev

Post by ib_n8 »

I was in the science fair last year and received honorable mention. This year I want to top that. In my scrounging around for a topic, I have come across magnetic levitation. This topic is interesting to me, and I think that I can do a great project on this topic. It also looks like I can create a great model to display at the science fair. Does anyone have any ideas to lead me in the direction of an award winning project?
ChrisG
Former Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Maglev

Post by ChrisG »

Hi ib_n8,
Welcome to the Ask an Expert Forums. Congrats on your success last year. I'm sure we will be able to help with another great project this year.
Can you tell us a little bit more about your interests and questions about magnetic levitation? How much math have you taken? How much have you read about the topic? Have you come across any information that has confused you or really grabbed your interest?
Looking forward to hearing more about your interest in this project.
Chris
davidkallman
Former Expert

Post by davidkallman »

Hi ib_n8,

Assuming you've picked MAGLEV as your project, there are two parts to your question:

1. the presentation part: doing a great project with a superb presentation
2. the science part: the MAGLEV specific work

1. There are many suggestions within sciencebuddies at:
https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... ndex.shtml

Particularly note the links under Communicating Your Results.

2. There are many useful links under: http://www.answers.com/MAGLEV
particularly note the links under "External links"
Cheers!

Dave
davidkallman
Former Expert

Post by davidkallman »

Hi ib_n8,

Note, there is a new sciencebuddies write-up that you may find useful, Levitating Magnets: Floating Isn't Just for Magicians: https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... p067.shtml

It may be too elementary; you may find ideas in here
Cheers!

Dave
ib_n8

Post by ib_n8 »

Hey. Thanks for the responses. Right now I am in Geometry and Physics. I have thought about how different arrangements of magnets can change the height of its levitation. Is there any potential in that?
ChrisG
Former Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by ChrisG »

Yes, there is potential in that topic. Your current question is fairly general, and I would recommend making it more specific. Have you spent some time reading about magnetic levitation to get a better understanding of some of the scientific and engineering questions that are important in that field? That will be an important step in developing a compelling hypothesis or engineering goal for your project.

Chris
davidkallman
Former Expert

Post by davidkallman »

Hi Hi ib_n8,

I agree with ChrisG that there is a potential for studying the levitation height impact of different magnet arrangements. I did a web search to see if there was some information on the web describing prior work in this area, but was unable to any references. It may be there, but so needs different search terms than I used (which were all the obvious ones).

So, your project, at face value, is new and exciting! You can select different arrangements and report on the levitation results. That could add to the knowledge base. (Note, of course, I could be missing something obvious.)
Cheers!

Dave
Craig_Bridge
Former Expert

Post by Craig_Bridge »

The repulsive (or attractive) force between two magnetic fields will have a maximum that will depend on the angle the two fields meet. If that angle is not alligned with the gravitational force vector, then there will be a propulsion vector where repulsive force is split between lifting (vertical) and moving (horizontal). If you want to eliminate any guide track, you will have to utilize multiple angles so that the horizontal forces balance and center the object along the path you wish it to travel. Figuring out the optimal angles will involve figuring out what you mean by optimal in terms of lifting force and stability and/or control. Repulsive magnetic forces tend to make for instability so you will have some work to do to come up with something practical.
-Craig
ib_n8

Post by ib_n8 »

Thank you for all of your advice, however, I have decided to move more in the direction of electromagnetic fields, and household appliances. My scientific question is, Which common household appliance emits the largest electromagnetic field?
Craig_Bridge
Former Expert

Post by Craig_Bridge »

Since you are abandoning the Maglev line of investigation to pursue another project, I would request that you post a new topic concerning your new topic. I would caution you that measuring Electromagnetic emissions ususally requires some expensive test equipment. The E/M spectrum consists of a wide range of frequencies and have both an E field and M field which require separate measurements. The propagation of the emissions is a function of frequency and field component and is reduced by any shielding or containment strategies. In addition, the field propagation maybe highly directional so multiple measurements with different orientations are ususally required. Coming up with a way to compare dissimilar emissions will be a challenge. I'm sure you can come up with something related to this scientific / engineering area that requires less equipment and is less subjective.
-Craig

Return to “Grades 9-12: Physical Science”