easiest plant to grow

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

donahuehouse08
Project Question: We are going to grow plant using 6 different liquids to feed the plants to see which liquid causes more growth. Six plants will be put in a window sill and 6 plants will be put on a shelf. We are trying to see which plant grows faster; the one watered with cool-aid that is on the shelf or the one that is in the window sill that if fed pepsi. We need a type of plant seed that is the easiest to grow and hardest to kill.
Project Due Date: Dec. 4 2008
Project Status: I am just starting

easiest plant to grow

Post by donahuehouse08 »

I just need to know what type of seeds i need to buy to conduct our experiment. I need one that grows relativly quickly and doesn't die easily. We are putting six in the window and six on a shelf. Then we are watering them each witha different liquid. (water, cool-aid, sweet tea, gatorade, apple juice, and coke)Then we are going to find out wich one grows better in the window and which one grows better on the shelf. Just need help picking the right plant!
barretttomlinson
Former Expert

Re: easiest plant to grow

Post by barretttomlinson »

Hi,

I don’t know if there is one plant that is easiest to grow, or what it would be, but I can recommend two that are easy and fairly reliable.

First, radishes grow quickly and are rather reliable. See for example:

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... o&from=TSW

Second, when I was five years old and my mother wanted to give me gardening experience, she gave me batchelor button seeds to plant. We got a pretty good crop after I all but ignored them in a hot dry sunny climate area.

I suspect either would work well for you, but probably radish seeds would be my first choice.

Have fun with this project!

Best regards,

Barrett Tomlinson
ChrisG
Former Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: easiest plant to grow

Post by ChrisG »

In addition to Barrett's recommendations, it might be fun & interesting to try this experiment also with a succulent variety of plant. You could easily grow jade plants and other succulents from cuttings by snipping off a small bit and putting it in water until roots sprout. These plants tend to grow slowly but steadily, and require less water than non-succulents.

Good luck!

Return to “Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”