Sweet Spot on a Baseball Bat

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

marthanathan
Project Question: My 6th grade son is interested in conducting a science fair project to compare the hitting power and “sweet spots” of wood versus aluminum baseball bats. He found a project on the Science Buddies website that used a bat attached to a “tee” and a coil, that was part of the “Batter Up” exhibit at the Science Place in Dallas. He would like to build his own tee/coil—could you provide more details about how to make this device and perhaps a diagram so that he can get started?
Project Due Date: January 2009
Project Status: I am just starting

Sweet Spot on a Baseball Bat

Post by marthanathan »

My 6th grade son is interested in conducting a science fair project to compare the hitting power and “sweet spots” of wood versus aluminum baseball bats. He found a project on the Science Buddies website that used a bat attached to a “tee” and a coil, that was part of the “Batter Up” exhibit at the Science Place in Dallas. He would like to build his own tee/coil—could you provide more details about how to make this device and perhaps a diagram so that he can get started?

Thanks for your help.

Martha Lester
yasinrahman
Project Question: N/A
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Sweet Spot on a Baseball Bat

Post by yasinrahman »

Ok I looked around and saw this link,
http://www.kettering.edu/~drussell/bats ... jects.html
They constructed the tester for the bat out of 2x4s and a heavy spring. So if you want you could probably look and see how it is and if you want email the drussell@kettering.edu which was on the website and ask about the project. They could give you the materials list and possible procedures in constructing your experiment.

Thanks,
Yasin

Return to “Grades 6-8: Physical Science”