Using Daphnia to Test Water toxicity from Watersheds

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

***Ashley***
Project Question: Which cereal contains the highest amount of caloric chemical energy and nutritional value to sustain optimal cellular oxidation levels in middle school students: Apple Jacks, Frosted Flakes, Trix, Cookie Crisp, Cocoa Puffs, Froot Loops, or Cap'n Crunch?
Project Due Date: January 23, 2008
Project Status: I am finished with my experiment and analyzing the data

Using Daphnia to Test Water toxicity from Watersheds

Post by ***Ashley*** »

Hey Science Buddies,

My name is Ashley and I'm in 9th grade living in Corona, CA. This year my experiment is on utilizing daphnia magna to test the water toxicity from watersheds. My questions are: Do you have any suggestions on where i can buy culture starters of daphnia magna? Do you have any suggestions on what's the best way to culture them?

Please e-mail me back as soon as possible. Thank you very much!!
Sincerely,
Ashley
davidkallman
Former Expert

Re: Using Daphnia to Test Water toxicity from Watersheds

Post by davidkallman »

Hi Ashley,

A place to buy daphnia magna is at:

http://wardsci.com/category.asp?c=20045 ... -_-daphnia

Note, the above is a "Sponsored Link." In other words, it is a paid advertisement. Normally, I don't select links of this kind, since most times, one is just looking for information. In this case, however, you were looking to buy a product.

The folks at Ward's Natural Science may be able to help you on your culture question as well as to which daphnia magna product meets your needs.
Cheers!

Dave
adance
Former Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Using Daphnia to Test Water toxicity from Watersheds

Post by adance »

Hi Ashley,

Carolina Biologicals is a good place to start, I searched for "Daphnia" and got these results:
http://www.carolina.com/p2p/endecaSearc ... Search.y=0

You can get just the cultures and food separately, or a kit with everything they think you need, including care instructions.

I did a Google search for "culture Daphnia" and got a few informative-looking hits.

I like this project idea, you are testing water quality by going directly an essential question: can it support living creatures?

Good luck

Amber
Amber Dance
Science Buddy

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”