Where can I buy magnets?

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

energico
Project Question: Connection between electron configuration and magnetism.
Project Due Date: January 16th, 2009.
Project Status: I am just starting

Where can I buy magnets?

Post by energico »

I need to buy Iron, Nickel and Cobalt magnets. I am trying to get magnets with the highest percent composition possible because I am going to compare the magnets based on their electron configuration. The best magnet I could find is one that was composed of 37% Co. Not good enough! I'm trying to shoot for 95+%. My science fair project is based on quantum numbers and electron configuration, so I need magnets that closely (if not exactly) imitate the magnetic properties of those metals.

Thanks for any help!
ChrisG
Former Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Where can I buy magnets?

Post by ChrisG »

Hi Energico,
Welcome to the ask an expert forums.
You can purchase pure samples:
http://www.emovendo.net/magnets/cobalt/
http://www.emovendo.net/magnet/nickel-m ... -9992.html
I'm not sure if those will meet your needs. If you explain more about your hypothesis and experimental procedure, we might be able to provide more specific advice.
Good luck!
Chris
fredwetzler
Former Expert

Post by fredwetzler »

Dear energico,

You might try browsing a magnet mfg. that offers specialized magnets and magnetic materials. A chart of magnetic properties is included. The URL is www.adamsmagnetic.com. Hope this helps you. good luck with your project.\
...Fred Wetzler
energico
Project Question: Connection between electron configuration and magnetism.
Project Due Date: January 16th, 2009.
Project Status: I am just starting

Post by energico »

I'm going to be using the magnets in various tests to asses the performance of their magnetic force under different settings. Based on their electron configuration, I am going to predict which metals will perform the best.

Do you know if it would be possible for me to create my own magnets? For example, I could purchase a metal sample (such as a piece of iron) and then strike it with a magnet that contains that metal, which would theoretically "align" the valence electrons, ultimately magnetizing the metal sample.
fredwetzler
Former Expert

Post by fredwetzler »

hi energico,

If you want to buy magnetic material, I suggest you query the Internet further for more magnet mfgs: "high-strength magnets and materials" and check for appropriate vendors.
Perhaps you might fill me in on what you are doing vis-avis "quantum electrons".

... Fred Wetzler
davidkallman
Former Expert

Post by davidkallman »

Hi Energico,

If you provide "Where can I buy a magnet?" to answers.com, the first three sites listed (under "Sponsored Links") are places where you can purchase a magnet. I can't vouch for them, you're at your own risk following a Sponsored Links. You're buying from a site that paid money for its listing.

An alternate is to build a magnet. Resources here are:

What are the different ways to make a magnet?
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_are_the_ ... e_a_magnet

How can you make an electro-magnet?
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_can_you_m ... tro-magnet
Cheers!

Dave

Return to “Grades 9-12: Physical Science”