Nutrition of candy

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

cats6666
Project Question: Which candy is the most nutritious?
Project Due Date: Dec 10
Project Status: I am just starting

Nutrition of candy

Post by cats6666 »

I want to do my project on the nutrition of candy. I have to have a constant and variables. I think the variable would be the diffrent kinds of candy. Is that right? Are there more variables? I don't know what a constant would be. Could someone PLEASE help me?
ScienceExpert123
Former Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Nutrition of candy

Post by ScienceExpert123 »

dear cats6666,

I think that the constant would be the candy that you use and the variable will be what you are testing. What do you want to test for? Here is a link for an idea that involves candy http://www.crystal-clear-science-fair-p ... oject.html post back what you want to test for and then I can help you further.

good luck,
scienceexpert123
MelissaB

Post by MelissaB »

Hi,

I suggest you read Science Buddies' write-up on variables: https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... bles.shtml . It should help you figure out what your variables are; like Scienceexpert123 said, we need to know more about your project before we can help you decide what your variables are, so post back if you have any more questions.
cats6666

Post by cats6666 »

I want to compare Reeses cups, Crunch bars, 100 Grand bars, Whoppers, and Kit Kats. I have the conversion of ounces to grams (and visa versa). I was going to use an ounce or gram weight for my constant (for example, 40 grams for each candy and do my comparison that way.). A seving size for a Reeses cup is 51 grams and it has 6 gms of protien (12% of DV) and a Nestle Crunch bar serving size is 41 grams and as 2% of protein (DV), but Crunch bars are lower in sodium than Reeses cups. I thought my variables would be the different kinds of candy and their specific nutritional information. I can kind of control my constant by using a set ounce or gram for comparison. The 5% for each daily value would be a constant too, right? The USDA of whoever has set those numbers/% based on a 2000 calorie a day diet. I can't control the variables because what's in the candy is in them. My hypothisis is something like Reeses cups are the most nutritional candy to eat beacuse they have peanut butter in them. (Of course, sodium, calories, saturated fats, etc. could outweight the good) so I don't really know the conclution yet. Am I on the right track? Are there more constants? Thanks!
staryl13
Former Expert
Project Question: Neuroregeneration
Project Due Date: N/A

Post by staryl13 »

Hi!
Sounds like you're doing great! I just want to caution you in introducing too many variables, especially with the nutritional information. Measuring and keeping track of too many quantities at once will be extremely hard, perhaps you want to focus on some specific types. Also, be a little more specific in setting up a standard or a criteria for determining whether something is more "nutritional" than something else. Have fun, good luck!
"There is a single light of science, and to brighten it anywhere is to brighten it everywhere." -Isaac Asimov
cats6666

Post by cats6666 »

I finished my project and wanted to share some of my findings with you. This was quite an undertaking. My mom and dad had to teach me about changing grams to ounces and visa versa. More math in this that I thought I was going to have to do. They showed me how to do a master data log which contained info such as calories, calories from fat, size of each candy, saturated fat, cholesterol, sodium, carbohydrates. dietary fiber, sugar,protein. vtamins, calcium, and iron on each of the five candies by ounce and % per ounce. We did bar graphs depicting the informatation in differnt colors sothat it was easier to see. On a content graph we broken down all of fat and saturated fat by %. Whoppers were actully the best candy to eat based on a 2000 calorie a day diet and the % of each item (fiber, sugar, iron, etc.) the USDA says each person should get. (Too much sodium wasn't good, too much sugar was bad, too much fat was bad, etc.) If anyone does one similar to this one, I would be intered in seeing their results.

Thanks!
Emily Willingham
Project Due Date: na

Post by Emily Willingham »

Hi, cats6666--

Thanks so much for coming back and sharing your findings! It's so exciting to read about the outcome of a project. Whoppers, eh? I'll have to remember that.

Thanks again for updating us. We really like to hear about the results.

Emily
maridonax
Project Due Date: n/a

Post by maridonax »

What kind of food should I eat to replace meat in diet and nutrition? I'm willing to become a committed Buddhist and the way I interpret the teachings is that I should not eat meat. But what kind of food will replace the nutrition in meat?
MelissaB

Post by MelissaB »

Hi,

That is a question you need to ask a nutritionist. We can't provide medical advice here at Science Buddies. I'm sure if you look up 'vegetarian' or 'vegan' on the web, you will find all sorts of resources about meat-free diets.

Return to “Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”