Help with "Guitar Fundamentals" project?

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

musicnerd1
Project Question: How do I calculate the speed and wavelength of a wave on a vibrating guitar string?
Project Due Date: Nov. 26th
Project Status: I am conducting my experiment

Help with "Guitar Fundamentals" project?

Post by musicnerd1 »

Hi. I've been following your "Guitar Fundamentals: Wavelength, Frequency, & Speed" project for a science fair. I already have the measurements & frequencies down. The only thing I have left is to find the velocity and wavelengths of a wave on a vibrating guitar string. I don't really understand what I'm supposed to be doing with the formula, so I took a guess at it. This is what I got for the first fret of the Low E string on the guitar: if v = fλ, and the wavelength of the lowest frequency on a string is twice the length of the string, (3.8 cm) then I should get the wavelength (7.6 m/s)? If I multiply that by the frequency of the note (164.98 hz), I should get the velocity (1253.85 m/s)? I'm not really sure if that's right or not, so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much. :D
Music = Life.
davidkallman
Former Expert

Re: Help with "Guitar Fundamentals" project?

Post by davidkallman »

Hi musicnerd1,

Just applying a reasonability test 1253.85 m/s can't be the correct answer. It's a very high speed! 1253.85 cm/s or 12.5385 m/s sounds more reasonable.
Cheers!

Dave
musicnerd1
Project Question: How do I calculate the speed and wavelength of a wave on a vibrating guitar string?
Project Due Date: Nov. 26th
Project Status: I am conducting my experiment

Post by musicnerd1 »

Thank you so much, davidkallman.
I knew something didn't look right with it, and I really appreciate the help. :]
Music = Life.
fredwetzler
Former Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by fredwetzler »

Dear Musicnerd1!

I am reviewing some past e-mail questions.
Your question about guitar string velocity hit me. because one of the most persistant problems in calculations is keeping the units (cm, m, mi, s, ft ,,etc) accurate and consistent.

One precaution I adopted was writing the units down next to each number so there could be no ambiguity in the factors used in the equations.

Return to “Grades 6-8: Physical Science”