Mechanical Engineering

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

ChrisB
Project Question: What is the best way to test corrosion on rock? I am conducting a project to determine if city noises affect the stress on rock.
Project Due Date: 12/5/2008
Project Status: I am conducting my research

Mechanical Engineering

Post by ChrisB »

My hypothosis is: Do sound waves affect the corrosion of structures.

Can you please help me to determine the best way to experiment on this hypothosis? I researched the topic and read about simulating stress corrosion with a bonded-particle model for rock but it was very confusing. What is a bonded-particle model and is this the best way to test the hypothosis?

:?
kgudger
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Mechanical Engineering

Post by kgudger »

Welcome to the forum! I googled around about your hypothesis and bonded-particle models, and found this: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_o ... 392ae98fae (You probably found that, too). I think what's going on is that one can simulate a composite type of rock with equations designed for distinct elements.

In googling sound waves and corrosion, I found that sound waves are a good way to measure corrosion in structures. Any chance that would make a better research topic? Most of the work looking at audio emissions from rock use the bonded particle model. There may even by some open source software for this analysis. Let us know what your further thoughts on this are. Thanks.

Keith
Craig_Bridge
Former Expert

Post by Craig_Bridge »

My hypothosis is: Do sound waves affect the corrosion of structures
First off, you have a question so it is not a hypothesis which must be a statement. You can't prove or disprove a question so a question can never be a hyothesis (a statement of something you think will happen).

Corrosion is usually described as some chemical change such as oxidation so I'm having a hard time understanding how you might try and relate corrosion and sound waves in general. As mentioned by a previous response, sound waves can be used to detect chemical and physical change in materials. Ultrasonic cleaning processes can be used to clean corrosion off of materials.
-Craig
ChrisB
Project Question: What is the best way to test corrosion on rock? I am conducting a project to determine if city noises affect the stress on rock.
Project Due Date: 12/5/2008
Project Status: I am conducting my research

Post by ChrisB »

Thank you to both for the very insightful points you've made. I'm considering your recommendations and will do more research.

Return to “Grades 9-12: Physical Science”