Generating & Storing Electricity in a capacitor

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

alli4898
Project Question: generate electricity using a bike (kite, cluck pendulum, etc.) to generate electricity and store in capacitors....then be able to use the electricity to power something like a radio, flashlight, tv, etc. in case of emergencies for ppl who may not have access to electricity 24-7 (or u can use the electricity to power something just for fun)
Project Due Date: 2/20-ish/08
Project Status: I am just starting

Generating & Storing Electricity in a capacitor

Post by alli4898 »

hi, im trying to do a project of generating electricity using a bike, kite, clock pendulum, or something else to generate electricity that can be stored in a capacitor. i want it to be really simple, using a magnet and copper wire or something (+ the capacitor) and i don't want to spend a whole bunch of $$$. Can someone plz help me understand how to construct a simple electricity generator and how to store the electricity using a capacitor? and how to do it and how it works? thx in advance...
davidkallman
Former Expert

Re: Generating & Storing Electricity in a capacitor

Post by davidkallman »

Hi alli4898,

if you provide "how to build a simple electricity generator" to answers.com, you'll get an webpage with a method to build a low cost generator, along with a video.

There is also an entry that explains how the generators work, though you might want to try a more focused query.

Similarly, if you provide "how to store electricity using a capacitor" as input, you'll get several webpages addressing your capacitor question.
Cheers!

Dave
edneu3
Former Expert
Occupation: Engineer - Product & Technical Development Executive Director
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Generating & Storing Electricity in a capacitor

Post by edneu3 »

To simplify things a bit for you, pay particular attention to the article found at Answers.com at this address: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Can_aluminum_ ... lectricity. It gives a really good understanding of capacitors used to store energy.

Good luck.
Ed Neu
Buffalo, MN

Return to “Grades 6-8: Physical Science”