just asking

Ask specific questions about preparing for a science fair, such as: judging, how to set up your display board, preparing a presentation, preparing for questions...

Moderator: berkeleywebs

JULIE ANN BONSUBRE

just asking

Post by JULIE ANN BONSUBRE »

:) hello!

My warmest greetings.

For the preparation of our science investigatory projects for the school year 2005-2006, I am now preparing for the possible problem that we are going to deal with for the whole school year. I've been into the science selection wizard and as per suggestion, the result was for me to take project related to genomics ( perhaps becuse i'm inclined to it, the fact that i am teaching biology also) .

I am quite interested with taking genomics projects. and I just wanna ask if we can also submit our paper the fact that we are not from the U.S. If not, do you have other suggestion for our paper?

We do not mean to be included in the competetion...we're not into it... :wink: we just wanna see if our work can pass the category. Then perhaps, we ( at least me) will be confident to submit it to the division level contest....

That's it. Thank you in advance...

More power to all

regards,

:) julie
Teacher
PNHS, Philippines
shijun

Post by shijun »

Hi Julie,

I would like to clarify some things:

What do you mean by "pass the category?"
Are you talking about papers done by your students? How many are we talking about?
Who do you want to submit the paper to?
What's your goal of submitting the paper if you are not concerned with entering the contest?
I assume you'll be grading the papers if the students are yours?

Let me know.
Shijun
Science Buddies Staff
JULIE ANN BONSUBRE

research paper

:) hello shijun!

how are you? i'm glad you posted a reply...

sorry for the "clarity" of my quiry! :lol:

what i mean was.... i m interested with conducting the study but i am not too confident in passing it for any contest. I mean, in my class, we are doing research ( at least today) for the sake of learning the scientific process and the procedures of conducting research (basically the main competency of our curriculum) we basically do research not for competition but for the completion of the subject. as i am saying, at least for now...but i know that sooner or later, the admin will demand from me an output to be submitted for the competition... that's why i am quite nervous about it... :( you know i'm quite new in the business, eh!

if i am going to count my students, we are going to have as many as 10 outputs or more... but i am planning to make my own paper also... course, i'm going to grade my students' output...

when i said i wanted to pass the category, i mean is there any body who would read the papers... and who woud determine who would win by the way? i just wanna have some confidence ( please bear with me) :wink:

i guess, it's also good to have a sciencebuddies furom or what that papers can be passed for correction or for suggestion and critisism and the like....

i hope you do understand what i meant...

God bless us both.

regards,

Teacher
PNHS, Philippines
shijun

Post by shijun »

Hi Julie,

You are definitely welcome to have your students do the project for learning purposes. But our contest is for U.S. students only.

The judges for our contest are real scientists but they are used only for the purpose of judging for this particular competition. They will not read papers from just anyone (as you can understand, they will be overwhelmed otherwise!). However, I encourage you to use the scoring guidelines on this page (https://www.sciencebuddies.org/mentorin ... ules.shtml) when you are grading your students' projects.

Of course, your students can post questions in our Ask an Expert Forum, but please don't tell them to all post their entire papers because our forum would be flooded!

I think it would really help to have a grading service for these types of projects. Unfortunately, we don't have one right now but I think this might be a great idea for the future...
Shijun
Science Buddies Staff
JULIE ANN BONSUBRE

thanks

:) hi shijun!

I perfectly understand... thanks for posting a reply.

I'm just curious that's why i ask. Dont worry, i am not going to advise them using the furom for cheking... :lol: It's quite embarassing for me to ask other person to do my job on the first place. But perhaps i can advise them to take professional advice from the sciencebuddies (?)

Actually, one of the competencies in this curriculum is the use of the NET. Most likely, they are going to visit the furom... that will still be on the start of the classes.

thank you very much. 'til then...

regards,

Teacher
PNHS, Philippines

Return to “Preparing for the Science Fair”