Are curds good for humans? Or is it bad?

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

chiazuohui
Project Question: Finding out which natural acid (fruit juice) would produce the most curds in a certain amount of time, and therefore serves as a better substitute for rennet.
Project Due Date: 20 June 2009
Project Status: I am conducting my experiment

Re: Are curds good for humans? Or is it bad?

Post by chiazuohui »

Hi,

What is isoelectric point? And thanks for the advice, I didn't know that there was a point where proteins are least soluble :)
donnahardy2
Former Expert

Re: Are curds good for humans? Or is it bad?

Post by donnahardy2 »

Hi Chiazuohui,

Good question. Proteins are composed of amino acids, which can have free carboxyl (COOH) groups or amino (NH2) groups, (all amino acids have at least one amino and one carboxyl group, but these are combined in a covalent peptide bond in proteins). Above a pH of 4.5, and carboxyl groups will have a negative charge (COO-), and below pH 7, the amino groups will have a positive charge (NH3+). The pH at which the negative and positive charges are balanced and give the protein a net neutral charge is called the isoelectric point.

Here is a website that explains the general principle of isoelectric point:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isoelectric_point

Here is some additional information about isoelectric point and characteristics of proteins:

http://www.chemistryquestion.com/Englis ... ation.html

Casein has an isoelectric point of 4.6, so is least soluble at this pH. In milk at pH 6.7 the casein would have more carboxyl groups ionized compared to protonated amino groups, so would have an overall net negative charge.

Does this information give you any ideas for your experiment?

Donna Hardy

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”