BLASTing Flu Viruses

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

swimmy
Project Question: Does sequence alignment really show how effective flu vaccines are?
Project Due Date: Synopsys (county) science fair: March 17, 2009
Project Status: I am finished with my experiment and analyzing the data

Re: BLASTing Flu Viruses

Post by swimmy »

Thank you so much!
Thanks,
swimmy
InfluenzaScienceFair
Project Question: Based on a certain year’s influenza outbreaks, how effective are the vaccines for the following year?
Project Due Date: Tuesday, January 4th
Project Status: I am conducting my experiment

Post by InfluenzaScienceFair »

Hello,

I have had similar problems with this project. Many of the prior posts have helped me a lot, but I still am kind of confused. My question was "Based on a certain year’s influenza outbreaks, how effective are the vaccines for the following year?" Is that reasonable?
MelissaB

Post by MelissaB »

HI,

I'm not sure what you mean by, 'based on a certain year's influenza outbreaks'. What about those outbreaks will you measure? Strength of the flu season? Viral sequences? If you can explain it a bit more, I might be able to help you.
swimmy
Project Question: Does sequence alignment really show how effective flu vaccines are?

Post by swimmy »

In BLAST, is there any way to limit the query to America?
The CDC has information about the cases in America, but the BLAST has strains from around the world...
Also, is there anywhere that says how many vaccines were administered?
Thanks,
swimmy
InfluenzaScienceFair
Project Question: Based on a certain year’s influenza outbreaks, how effective are the vaccines for the following year?

I was thinking of the viral sequences, yes. Since the vaccine for the following year is composed of the most prominent sequences from the prior year's outbreaks, I wanted to find the percentage of effectiveness in the vaccine. I don't really know if that makes sense, but it was just a thought.
MelissaB

Post by MelissaB »

Swimmy,

I know of no way to limit the search to America--but the good news is that the flu is pretty pandemic, so the sequences you get are likely to have pretty much been around the world. As for the doses, I couldn't find exact doses, but I found percent coverage of different groups (those 65 and older, those 18-41 with certain risk conditions, etc.) here: http://www.cdc.gov/flu/mmwrref.htm .

ISF,

That's certainly do-able, but you'll find that it varies widely from year to year--some years the last seasons' sequences work very well, and some (like this year!) they work very poorly. I would thus suggest having another variable, or considering a different question.
InfluenzaScienceFair

All right, thanks! So if I do choose to do that question, how would I be able to find the percentage of effectiveness?
swimmy

Post by swimmy »

I'm trying to see how similar the sequences are.
Do I use Identities, Positives or Gaps?
I found this in the BLAST tutorial:
Similarity
The extent to which nucleotide or protein sequences are related. The extent of similarity between two sequences can be based on percent sequence identity and/or conservation. In BLAST similarity refers to a positive matrix score.
I don't really understand. I think I use the positives to find the similarity.
Is this right?
Thanks,
swimmy
MelissaB

Post by MelissaB »

Hi guys,

I'm so sorry that no one has answered your questions yet! ISF, I hope that you have figured out that I talked about how to measure effectiveness earlier in the thread? If not, let me know and I'll help you out with that.

Swimmy, I'm no expert in BLAST, but I just looked it over and I think you should use identities. That seems to be the number of nucleotides the two sequences have in common divided by the total number of nucleotides. The percentage you get after is the percentage similarity.
MichaelD
Former Expert
Project Question: N/A
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by MichaelD »

swimmy wrote:I'm trying to see how similar the sequences are.
Do I use Identities, Positives or Gaps?
I found this in the BLAST tutorial:
Similarity
The extent to which nucleotide or protein sequences are related. The extent of similarity between two sequences can be based on percent sequence identity and/or conservation. In BLAST similarity refers to a positive matrix score.
I don't really understand. I think I use the positives to find the similarity.
Is this right?
Yes that is correct. The positives will indicate residues which are similar (homologous) in properties, acidic, basic, hydrophobic, etc. Identities indicate an exact match. Percent positive will be a good measure of similarity between two sequences.

Mike

Return to “Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”