How can I find a local lab?

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

WakingLucidity
Project Question: What duration of UV light kills bacteria?
Project Due Date: some months from now
Project Status: Not applicable

How can I find a local lab?

Post by WakingLucidity »

Hi,

I would like to do something along the lines of this project: https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... c&from=TSW

I want to see the effect of UV light on bacteria. I've been trying to find a good project that will be okayed by my teacher and somethig along these lines is applicable and do- able but how do I go about finding a lab?

Also, are there any variations that would make this project "more unique" that involved bacteria and light?

Thanks for your help. :)
barretttomlinson
Former Expert

Re: How can I find a local lab?

Post by barretttomlinson »

Hi,

Your best resource for finding a lab will likely be your science teacher. You might be able to use your school lab, or your school may have a teacher who volunteers to support science fair participants who can help. If neither of these ideas work out, see if there is a sponsoring organization for your science fair - they ofthen will have people who can assist with projects. Also enquire about facilities in your area that assist high school students with research - the San Francisco Bay Area has several such groups I am told.
Lastly, try to find a professional organization appropriate to your project area, and see if they have a local chapter with an education committee - such a group would probably help you find a lab. If you have a local college, junior college, or university, sse if they have a group trying to interest students in going on to college. Such a group might have contacts that would help you gain access to a lab. If you are persistent and well organized I am fairly certain you will find people who will support your efforts on this project.

Best regards,

Barrett Tomlinson

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”