altimeter

Ask questions about projects relating to: computer science or pure mathematics (such as probability, statistics, geometry, etc...).

Moderators: kgudger, bfinio, Moderators

patty_r66
Project Question: What liquid is more damaging to teeth?
Project Due Date: September, 2008
Project Status: I am conducting my research

altimeter

Post by patty_r66 »

Ok experts. We have to build our own altimeter for a rocket club. The payload is to weigh no more than 1.5 lbs. The dimensions I am not sure of at this time. Any ideas? Thank you for your time and attention on this, it is really appreciated.
ssethuma
Former Expert

Re: altimeter

Post by ssethuma »

Are you looking for help with designing the electronics/software for the Altimeter or just basic info on what it takes to build one? Please provide more information so that the folks on this board can better help you

Suren
ScienceExpert123
Former Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by ScienceExpert123 »

here is some information about altimeters: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altimeter

yes, we would need more information, like Suren said, to help you further.

are you looking to make an electronic altimeter, or just something to measure how high your rocket goes?

if it's how high your rocket goes, here are two really basic ideas:
1. you can use physics formulas to get a rough estimate (let me know if you want to know how to do this)
2. attach a thread to the bottom of the rocket and see how much thread is pulled off the ground

let me know if you have any more questions

good luck,
scienceexpert123
patty_r66
Project Question: What liquid is more damaging to teeth?
Project Due Date: September, 2008
Project Status: I am conducting my research

Post by patty_r66 »

We will need to build our own altimeter and we did find a kit to build one at a website. I'm a little fuzzy on how all of this works. I thought something that wasn't electronic would be suitable (don't forget I know basically nothing about this) but the kids are looking into putting together an electronic altimeter. The cost is about 60 dollars for the kit. Just out of curiosity I wanted to look to see if there was a way to do this without electronics. It has to be pretty small though. By the way this is for a program called Rockets For Schools. The kids are in a club at the local school and in May they will send off their rockets with the CoastGuard on Lake Michigan, in Wisconsin.

Return to “Grades 9-12: Math and Computer Science”