INTEL-ISEF 2010,Theory on Cosmology & relativity

AFTER you've done your research and concluded your experiments, it is time to prepare for the science fair. Ask specific questions about preparing for a science fair, including how to set up your display board, how to prepare a presentation, etc. (Please post questions about selecting a project or conducting your experiment by posting in the appropriate "area of science" forum.)

Moderators: kgudger, Moderators

Hanaan
Project Question: From Bells theorem to QC protocol
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: I am conducting my research

INTEL-ISEF 2010,Theory on Cosmology & relativity

Post by Hanaan »

Hello,
I am very glad to introduce myself to you.Well, I am 15 year old young prodigy who is currently working on a research on astronomy( Modifying one of most challenging theories in the world) Einsteins theory of relativity. I am a native of India.,and I have nt completed my high school,but hopefully planning to enter MIT,according to my schedule.If I am clear my SAT,this July,I hope I can make it then.

.I admit I will have my own limits,But I am ever ready to face any challenges in my work,for that I need a right place to exhibit my presentations. I am looking forward to enter ISEF competition 2010,but unfortunately couldnt turn up for national fairs held in India as I had to a research ppt in Boston.Do i still have options to go for this year(2010) for INTEL,by registering through any U.S schools as I am too determined,to enter ISEF before entering to college,because I am sure,I cant lose such a golden oppurtunity that came on my side.If you cant help me personally,it would be thankful if you could suggest some co-ordinators whom I can contact for this exception and more details.

I would also like to connect to past INTEL-Finalists and their projects :) Please help me with it.
I have come across the science buddies website ,and they have listed some project ideas and their abstract. Can we also make use of those topics for ISEF :?: I am ready to come to United States,and make all arrangements ready,and It would be great if i get a positive reply from you
Can I still get a chance to participate in ISEF 2010( if granted any exceptions),Can I still compete through registering via U.S School and enter into finals.I hope I can realize and make a big platform for myself,by hitting the worlds pre-largest competition.

If I have to wait for the next year,then what are the neccesary recommendations you could give me..list them under the category of general relativity and cosmology.
barretttomlinson
Former Expert

Re: INTEL-ISEF 2010,Theory on Cosmology & relativity

Post by barretttomlinson »

Hi,

I have no information on backdoor ways into top science competitions, but here is the website for the ISEF 2010, to be held May 9-14. You may need to enter and win in a lower level science fair to be able to enter. The website should give you info on the entrance procedures.

http://www.societyforscience.org/isef

I also suggest you take a look at this Science Buddies webpage on other top science competitions:

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... view.shtml

And this page on Advanced Science Competitions may also have useful information:

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... ndex.shtml

I hope you are also aware of the Physics Olympiad:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internatio ... s_Olympiad

http://ipho2010.hfd.hr/

You should also be aware of summer research programs at MIT, Stanford, amd other universities that might fit your interests:

http://www.mitadmissions.org/topics/bef ... er_p.shtml

http://www.mitadmissions.org/topics/bef ... _programs/

http://summer.stanford.edu/highschool/overview.asp

http://www.summer.harvard.edu/2010/prog ... efault.jsp

Good Luck!

Barrett L. Tomlinson
Hanaan

INTEL-ISEF & college acceptance

Post by Hanaan »

Very much thanks for your email and appreciate your early reply.

Now I am bringing a clear idea of my years in high school ,i e. I have not done with my exams in 10th grade( equivalent to U.S) it
will be treated as high school sophomore year. My years in 10th grade were treated as a year which is solely dedicated to my
research interests and have been solely given a testimonial equivalency that I have done my sophomore year.

Government of my state has officialy treated it as part of my studies along with research interest.Currently I am not
enrolled in any high school,but has plans in entering colleges as soon as i see,if i qualify for INTEL-competitons as I am too
passionate and has been waiting for a year or long ,because I could nt attend my National fair in India. I know in my
case , it is bit confusing,but I hope to be clear here,in order to avoid any possible delays. If I have found that i qualify
or national fairs in ISEF,should I wait for another year to apply for college, pls
note, that I am not either a senior or a high school junior.( just done with sophomore classes in which my research
work gave an equivalency to courses). Please clarify.

I have signed up for SSP newsletter and i have heard about ISEF-connect which connects us to past and future finalists.Please let me know how to sign up there.
I have just got info about ISEF connect.Please see the website http://science.rpi.edu/Science_Fair/isefconnect.html

I realize that I have taken a project idea which was not suggested by anyone.Solely my interest.But I
got to see some fascinating project ideas,and how to carry out the experiments is also listed in Sciencebuddies website
What we just got to do, is
to find the results. Will it still become an original project,because every hint is listed and we just got to find results.
please clarify
I hope you could get a plan of my high school studies .Currently I am not enrolled in any high
school,because here,the gov has plans for taking me into a college seeing my research project advancement, I want to make
all possible ways open for me to enter the STS-INTEL/ISEF. I hope you could help me in bringing a right decision.
possible choices.

1) I can wait for another year to apply for colleges ,just to enter in STS ,and get acceptance letter from a U.S high school
or
2) If i apply this year,to college in mid of Dec 10th,2010., I will get an acceptance letter from colleges by mid of March/first week of April. That blocks my entry to any of these competitons.

I am expecting a wise reply from your side.
Would be grateful,if you reply early
Sincerely Yours
Hanaan
Hanaan

Post by Hanaan »

it would be of great,if you could prepare a timeline so that everything will fit in,and also i can work for both fairs.
Please also list some international science fairs ( other than ISEF,Isweeps) and other astronomy oriented programs for international students doing high school.
regards
hanaan
barretttomlinson
Former Expert

Hi,

I have already given you the information I have on timelines and science fairs for advanced students. I am primarily responding to your added posts because of other things you said.

When I was in high school it was suggested to me that I enter college after my Junior year on the basis of my doing well on the College Board and SAT exams, and having passed the high school exit exam during my sophomore year. I chose not to do this and have been sure that was the correct decision ever since. I met and heard of several students who did enter college early, and all of them encountered psychological problems in college, essentially because they were not emotionally mature enough to fit into the college student body socially. I strongly encourage you to think very seriously, and seek advice, about whether that would be true in your case.

Also, if you are serious about entering college or university in fall of 2011 you should be talking to the admissions offices of the schools you might like to attend now to be sure you can meet their admission requirements now. While it may be true that you have very unusual skills in some subjects, have you mastered all the academic subjects expected of high school graduates? In particular, if you expect to attend a university that instructs in English, do you have the required mastery of English composition (writing) and grammar, and have you read widely enough in theEnglish literature? This is an absolute requirement for admission to many US colleges and universities, and a deficiency of many US college applicants. The writing style of your posts suggest questions about your readiness for college right now in this area.

In your shoes I would seek serious advice from an experienced adviser in your country on the college admission process and the feasibility of your plans. I wish you the very best of success, whatever you do.

Barrett L. Tomlinson
Hanaan

Post by Hanaan »

Hello
Thanks for your reply. I have taken additional & special english courses for last 4 years along with elementary english courses which made me to master the four sections ,i.e reading,writing,literature,composition. I am sure, I have all good grades and requirements which made my school to reccomend me for higher studies abroad,and they have made my sophomore graduation much earlier the date of graduation. I am worried about the case you mentioned here,about the students who enter the college :o getting physicological problems because of some circumstances that they were too young to attend.

I dont think this avails in my country and no one will have a clear idea about it,and I havent heard of any such cases though there are many brilliant minds here.It would be helpful if you could suggest me,since I will be travelling to U.S this April I would be happy if you reccomend me a person, after all,its step into my career and hope it will go well.
This is a subject where it has to be dealt with a senior person as for now,but would be glad if you could reccomend the best.

Thanks
Hanaan
barretttomlinson
Former Expert

Hi,

I may have been somewhat out of line in expressing my concerns about psychological problems associated with really early college entrance. When I did a little web searching I found little support for the idea, though a lot of condern about the possibility. Here is an extensive review of the academic research on accelerated education -it is worthwhile reading:

http://www.davidsongifted.org/db/Articles_id_10349.aspx

Basically it says most people who have done it do not regret it, and identifies a number of university programs that have formally supported students who wanted to do it. It claims no unusual frequencies of psychological maladjustment occur in accelerated student groups. It suggests very early college entry is most appropriate for students with IQs over 160 who have strong family support.

It suggests a set of 12 Guidelines for those considering this path:
“1. Contact the admission office, explain circumstances, and request information about policies regarding early entrance.
2. Exhaust the challenging opportunities available in the school system, including Advanced Placement courses, honors courses, advanced-level coursework, and part-time college courses.
3. Attend university summer programs before leaving school as a way of developing skills in preparation for early college entrance.
4. Be sure you have a sincere desire to accelerate and a realistic understanding of the consequences.
5. Seriously consider attending cohort acceleration programs where a group of young students attend college together, as there are many advantages to having a student support network.
6. Match career goals to the courses offered at particular colleges or universities.
7 .Do not select a college or university based on "big name" appeal, but rather concentrate on the offerings of programs and departments.
8. Decide whether to live on campus or commute.
9. Determine whether your aptitude and achievement measures are at least as high as the average for the freshman class.
10. Assess the extent of your organizational skills.
11. Visit the college or university campus and meet the admissions personnel, current early entrance students (if there are any), and academic staff. If possible, tour the residence facilities.
12. Avoid excessive publicity about the decision to enter college early, as a public profile might bring unreasonable expectations from others and create uncomfortable situations.”

The cases that led me to make the comments I did included a young man whose father had mercilessly pushed him to excel in mathematics, who had significant problems after completing an early college degree. His mother addressed the issue by enrolling him with his age cohort in public school with instructions not to pay attention to the academics, but rather to learn to deal socially with his age mates.
The other case was a college classmate of mine who suffered typical adolescent angst and lack of academic success after an early enrollment.

I am afraid I cannot recommend specific experts to talk to in this country except the generic advice to talk to the admission staff of the universities/ colleges of interest to you.

Best regards,

Barrett L. Tomlinson

Some other links of possible use:

http://www.davidsongifted.org/

http://print.ditd.org/young_scholars/Gu ... _07_05.pdf

http://print.ditd.org/young_scholars/Gu ... udents.pdf

Return to “Grades 9-12: Getting Ready for the Science Fair”