what is my variable

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

nacballer11
Project Question: can adult pass a middle school science test
Project Due Date: december 10th
Project Status: I am just starting

what is my variable

Post by nacballer11 »

I am doing the "Can adults pass a middle school science test" as my project, but I can't figure out what my independent variable, dependent variable, and constants are. Can someone help me?
EyeAmLoz
Project Question: What is the effect of the temperature of the solvent on Rf value in paper chromatography
Project Due Date: 23rd October
Project Status: I am conducting my research

Re: what is my variable

Post by EyeAmLoz »

Its a bit vauge.. I think you should get some middle school students to do the test as well and then compare the results against the adults results.
If you do that, your variables will be:

Independent variable: The age of the person sitting the test [ie student or adult]
Dependent Variable: How well the person does on the tests
Constants: Things like make sure you give everyone the same questions and the same amount of time and that the test is conducted in the same area and that they all have access to the same resources.

hope this helped. :)
agm
Former Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: what is my variable

Post by agm »

Hi,

I moved your topic to the forum that includes social science, where more experts with relevant knowledge will see it. In the meantime, here's the link to your project idea so that everyone's on the same page:

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... p016.shtml

And here's some info about variables:

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... bles.shtml

Post again in this thread if you have any more questions!

Amanda

Return to “Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”