removing iron from plants that have been fertilized

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

phenle
Project Question: polution of plant and then resolution of polution
Project Due Date: in one month.
Project Status: I am just starting

removing iron from plants that have been fertilized

Post by phenle »

Many people use fertilizers to make crops and plants look greener and prettier. At the same time they are making the plants less healthy because fertilizers. I wanted to plant quick growing seeds in three pots. Grow seeds in one pot and leave it alone, Grow seeds in two other pots and fertilize them an iron fertilizer. In one of the fertilized pots drench with water to get the fertilizer to run off. In another pot use chealton (adding a chemical that binds to the metal ions, making them wash away easily) and then washing it away. I want to test if the chealton helps remove the fertilizer.

What do you think?

If you like it what kind of Chealton do you recomend. I can find an iron fertilizer to use as the pollutant.

How would I measure the success of using just water to cleanse the plant versus the Chealton?

Any thoughts are appreiciated.
agm
Former Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: removing iron from plants that have been fertilized

Post by agm »

Hi phenle,

Welcome to the forum. I moved your topic to the Life Sciences forum where more experts will see it -- Preparing for the Science Fair is more about displaying/presenting your project after you've finished.

Good luck,
Amanda
sunmoonstars
Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: removing iron from plants that have been fertilized

Post by sunmoonstars »

Hi Phenle,

This is such an interesting project! I read a little about iron and iron chelate, and perhaps you can use something like this? It is already rated for use in gardens.

http://www.amazon.com/Carl-Pool-CP104-I ... B001SGXL56

To measure the amount of iron in the run-off, perhaps these test strips?

http://www.watercenter.com/product.tpl? ... 1108&cart=

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”