How should I graph a variable that is "0"?

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

robertfh
Project Question: What is the best way to create a graph when the independent variable starts at 0? I am required to use Excel, and the scale needs to start at 1. The project is "Sliding Light: How to make a Dimmer Switch". Thank you.
Project Due Date: 1/18/11
Project Status: I am finished with my experiment and analyzing the data

How should I graph a variable that is "0"?

Post by robertfh »

We are required to use Excel to create a graph. My Project is "Sliding Light: How to Make a Dimmer Switch." On the X axis is where you label the resistor length in cm. The first length is actually 0 cm. Excel can only start with 1. So I can't plot my first pair of coordinates. How should I do this? Also, should the X axis alway start with 0 as even with the the Y axis so 0,0 is the corner of the graph, or in this case could you make it the first interval on the x axis? Thank you!
edneu3
Former Expert
Occupation: Engineer - Product & Technical Development Executive Director
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: How should I graph a variable that is "0"?

Post by edneu3 »

To plot scientific data such as these you should use the "Scatter Plot" capabilities of Excel. When you use that, you can actually plot a "0" value.

Put all you "X" values in one column, and their corresponding "Y" values in the column to the right of that one. Select all the data and choose "Scatter" plot.

Good luck.
Ed Neu
Buffalo, MN

Return to “Grades 6-8: Physical Science”