Forms for "Take a Musical Step Back in Time"

AFTER you've done your research and concluded your experiments, it is time to prepare for the science fair. Ask specific questions about preparing for a science fair, including how to set up your display board, how to prepare a presentation, etc. (Please post questions about selecting a project or conducting your experiment by posting in the appropriate "area of science" forum.)

Moderators: kgudger, Moderators

janet41
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Forms for "Take a Musical Step Back in Time"

Post by janet41 »

My 7th grader is doing a variation on the "Take a Musical Step Back in Time" project. I'd like a little help filling out the forms.

1. Would you consider this a "physics" or "mechanical engineering" project?

2. The SRC for the fair says that surveying volunteers to evaluate which diaphragm makes the best sound does not require human subjects forms, but we need to fill out Form 3 "Risk Assessment" and notify volunteers of any safety rules and risks before participating. Not sure what to put here --

Safety rules for volunteers -- I just brainstormed a few ideas here -- are we missing anything? Don't get hair caught in the gears. (She build her record player out of K'Nex, there are exposed plastic gears in the set-up.) Don't put your ear too close until you hear the sound from a distance. Stop if it hurts your ears.

Can I put as sources for safety information "Common sense" or do we actually need to research this somehow?

Thanks,
amyc
Site Admin
Project Question: N/A
Project Due Date: N/A

Re: Forms for "Take a Musical Step Back in Time"

Post by amyc »

Hi. I talked with one of our staff scientists (who has also served as a judge for advanced science competitions) about your questions. In terms of how to classify the project, she suggests you go with "physics." She said:
The judges are more likely to be thinking about the physics of sound and why the phonograph your 7th grader has designed works the way it does.
She also suggested that your student may get better discussion and feedback on the project in this category.

In terms risk assessment form, she said that the safety ideas you came up with are great.
Common sense is a good source. For completeness you could also talk about the duration of the listening being relatively short, and the proximity of the sound to the listener's ear being more than with headphones thus increasing safety and cite this age-appropriate source: http://kidshealth.org/kid/talk/qa/rock_music.html
I hope that helps! We wish your student good luck with the project and would love to know how it turns out.

Amy
Science Buddies
janet41
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a

Re: Forms for "Take a Musical Step Back in Time"

Post by janet41 »

Physics it is, then. Thanks!

Return to “Grades 6-8: Getting Ready for the Science Fair”