Averaging Musical Data Points

Ask questions about projects relating to: computer science or pure mathematics (such as probability, statistics, geometry, etc...).

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

gannonad
Project Question: Not sure yet...
Project Due Date: January 18
Project Status: I am just starting

Averaging Musical Data Points

Post by gannonad »

Hi!

I am doing a science fair project on violins and how the size of the instrument affects the sound properties. I have already done the experimentation (recording different sized instruments) and entered the raw data into Microsoft Excel. To do this I used Audacity which took the Hertz and Decibel levels of each point on the sound wave and charted them. Since overall I have 540 data points and each one has about 30 Hertz and 30 Decibel numbers, I was wondering if I should average the data points when I graph them. Any help is greatly appreciated!
hhemken
Former Expert

Re: Averaging Musical Data Points

Post by hhemken »

gannonad,

Unfortunately I am neither a musician nor do I have experience with audacity. However, my understanding is that there have been several questions posted here on projects using audacity, so I would suggest searching the forums for them and seeing if they are relevant to yours. Have you searched the web to see what other people have done?

Good luck!
Heinz Hemken
Mentor
Science Buddies Expert Forum
gannonad
Project Question: Not sure yet...
Project Due Date: January 18
Project Status: I am just starting

Re: Averaging Musical Data Points

Post by gannonad »

Thanks, Heinz!

Sorry it took so long for me to get back to you. I just saw your post. I haven't looked at other posts but I got everything figured out. Thanks anyways!

Return to “Grades 6-8: Math and Computer Science”