Internet

Ask questions about projects relating to: computer science or pure mathematics (such as probability, statistics, geometry, etc...).

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

Project Question: How advances and consequences of the internet impact the society and the environment.
Project Due Date: Friday, February 22nd, 2011
Project Status: I am conducting my research

Internet

Post by 090183 »

There are many consequences of communication internet. Which do you think have the biggest impact?

How has communication changed ever since internet was invented?

What are advances of the internet?

How does the internet impact the society and the environment?

8)
barretttomlinson
Former Expert

Re: Internet

Post by barretttomlinson »

Hi,

“There are many consequences of communication internet. Which do you think have the biggest impact? “

The internet had a huge impact on how people communicate and do research. Before the internet, people wrote letters to stay in touch - now they send email or instant messages. Before internet, people did research in libraries using books and periodicals- now they do a Google search to find websites. Before internet people had to go to meetings or make phone calls to network - now they use social networking websites and go to fewer meetings. The Postal Service is becoming much less critical to daily life, and newspapers are struggling to keep readers. The internet and the arise of virtual private networks made it possible for me to work at home a lot of the time as a software engineer. The environmental impact is the reduction of the need to physically travel as much, and the reduction of the need to consume paper.

“How has communication changed ever since internet was invented?”

I write far fewer letters and make far fewer long distance phone calls, but write many more emails to family and friends.

“What are advances of the internet?”

The biggest thing currently happening is the growth of social networking, things like Facebook, and other sites that allow you to post info and communicate with friends and other people who share your interests. Other recent technology advances include video streaming of movies and phone calls, selling products over the internet, publishing magazines and books over the internet to computers and smart phones and handheld devices. These have all been enabled by advances and availability of higher speed internet networks and lower cost and faster computers and graphic display devices.

How does the internet impact the society and the environment?

The internet is allowing people to organize and communicate rapidly with people they do not know personally. Just think about the changes of government in Tunisia, Egypt, and the uprisings in Morocco, Bahrain, and Yemen in the last month. These have all been organized and coordinated over the internet, allowing thousands of people to take coordinated action to express their common needs and wants and to rebel against authoritarian and repressive governments. In the US political candidates have been able to raise funds and organize campaigns using the internet much faster and more efficiently than ever before.

Those are the impacts of the internet of which I am most aware.

Best regards,

Barrett L Tomlinson

Return to “Grades 6-8: Math and Computer Science”