control and data for science fair?

AFTER you've done your research and concluded your experiments, it is time to prepare for the science fair. Ask specific questions about preparing for a science fair, including how to set up your display board, how to prepare a presentation, etc. (Please post questions about selecting a project or conducting your experiment by posting in the appropriate "area of science" forum.)

Moderators: kgudger, Moderators

kenzis-mommy
Project Question: My kindergarten is in her first science fair. We are doing "transpiration" and our demonstration uses food coloring in water and white carnations to show what happens when plants drink. She grasps the process and our flowers are cooperating and changing colors as they should. I am stumbling on what the "control" is for this experiment? Also, any suggestions for the data we should measure? (should we measure water in the cups? should we measure patterns in the color changes?)
Project Due Date: April 29
Project Status: I am conducting my experiment

control and data for science fair?

Post by kenzis-mommy »

My kindergartener is in her first science fair. We are doing "transpiration" and our demonstration uses food coloring in water and white carnations to show what happens when plants drink. She grasps the process and our flowers are cooperating and changing colors as they should. However, I am stumbling on what the "control" is for this experiment? Also, any suggestions for the data we should measure? (should we measure water in the cups? should we measure patterns in the color changes?)
staryl13
Former Expert
Project Question: Neuroregeneration
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: control and data for science fair?

Post by staryl13 »

Hi!
So the control for this experiment would be growing the carnations in pure (clear) water and showing that there is no color change in the flowers. In terms of measuring the data, I think that the best would be to create a color ranking (for example, 1 being white and 5 being red and all the shades in between from 2-4). I also think that measuring how much water is in the cups before and after the experiment would also be a great idea as well. Sounds like a great project and best of luck!
"There is a single light of science, and to brighten it anywhere is to brighten it everywhere." -Isaac Asimov

Return to “Grades K-5: Getting Ready for the Science Fair”