Electrolytes - Orange Juice and Sports Drinks. ASAP!

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

DeclanCoulson
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Electrolytes - Orange Juice and Sports Drinks. ASAP!

Post by DeclanCoulson »

Hello, I am a teacher wondering what the average results would be in Milli Amps for both orange juice and a sports drink? I would like to compare this sites results to my students. Please respond as soon as possible, I would like to cross examine tonight :)

Thanks,
Declan

EDIT: I do not require an absolutely correct average, just an idea as to what it should be. A guestimate, you might call it? :)
Amber_MIT
Former Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Electrolytes - Orange Juice and Sports Drinks. ASAP!

Post by Amber_MIT »

Hi, sorry you didn't get a response to your question quickly. I'm going to move your question to the physical science forum.

[Administrative note: Outdated link removed.]

In general, the experts have not done every single experiment so we don't have any actual results available to us! :-). We can normally tell you what is reasonable and expected, however.

Good luck!
Stuck? Check out our project guides!
Project Guide: http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-f ... ndex.shtml
Advanced Project Guide: http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-f ... ndex.shtml

Amber Hess
Expert
Craig_Bridge
Former Expert

Re: Electrolytes - Orange Juice and Sports Drinks. ASAP!

Post by Craig_Bridge »

The dimensions of the conductivity probe will affect the Ma measurements. The conductivity in siemens/meter has to take into account the geometry of the probe. If you double the length of the probe, you are going to half the current for the same conductivity. If you halve the length of the probe, you are going to double the current for the same conductivity.

For very low cunductance or very high conductance liquids, the geometry of the probe design illustrated in this experiment is also not as accurate as highly accurate ones. By having the insulating material directly between the two probes in the shortest distance current paths, the current density through the liquid is not uniform. Better probes are designed so that all of the shortest distance current path is in liquid.
-Craig

Return to “Grades 9-12: Physical Science”