Marine Bioligist vs Bioligist...and more

Ask specific questions about careers in science. Questions may be related to information in the Science Careers area of the Science Buddies website or may relate to specific projects or areas of research.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

Simmedancer
Project Question: Jobs for the Young!
Project Due Date: I dont know yet
Project Status: I am conducting my research

Marine Bioligist vs Bioligist...and more

Post by Simmedancer »

I am kinda confused what different kinds of Bioligists there are....Marine Bioligist has its own section as does Bioligist.....so does that mean all the things listed under Bioligist is what every bioligist does??? or do you get many different kinds??? if so what are the different bioligists....and I LOVE studying animals...especially marine ones...but im allergic to any animnal thats fuzzy and has hair :( is there any kind of job that studys animals but not directly? and im not deathly allergic so if I come into contact its fine. Thanks in advance :)
Dancer in Training
Scientist in Training
So i guess im just a Scienncer :)
barretttomlinson
Former Expert

Re: Marine Bioligist vs Bioligist...and more

Post by barretttomlinson »

Hi,

Biology is a huge field encompassing many many different specialties. It is really just an umbrella title covering all the areas of the study of living things. Marine biology is almost as broad, covering the study of all things living in the ocean, from aingle cell organisms through ocean living plants to fish to huge sea mammals. Most living things do not have fur, so you should be able to find many many jobs that avoid your allergies completely. Here is a site with a few examples of jobs for a biology graduate, together with links to organizations that can tell you more about the specialties:

http://sciweb.hfcc.edu/biology/careers.biology.html

Many of the most interesting jobs of the future have not been invented yet. Many people invent their own field, often by taking the tools from two established fields and combining them in new ways to open new opportunities. In my own case I trained as a chemist, then did a PhD on studying biological molecules molecules using spectroscopic techniques developed to solve chemistry problems. When I got out of school I was interested in applying computers, especially microprocessors, to the study of chemical problems. I ended up having a career developing scientific instruments, applying the rapidly evolving microprocessors to ever more sophisticated chemical problems. Some of my fellow PhD classmates played important roles in sequencing the human genome. These ideas and careers were unimaginable when we began to study chemistry.

If you are attracted to the study of biology I encourage you strongly to pursue your interest. I am very confident you will find a career path that you can’t foresee now that will prove very satisfying.

I wish you every success!

Best regards,

Barrett L Tomlinson

Return to “Careers in Science”