Getting started with my science fair project ......

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

speakerbox
Project Question: the goal of this project is to apply basic chemistry to create my own homeade cosmetics.
Project Due Date: august 13 , 2011
Project Status: I am just starting

Getting started with my science fair project ......

Post by speakerbox »

So , my teacher recommended this site to our class to take the quiz to help us pick a topic. I chose Potions and Lotions : Lessons in cosmetic chemistry . This is my first science project i have ever done and i need help asap cause i do not look forward to failing this class and plus you can recieve scholarships on these science fair projects . nd im kinda scared :? since this is only my first project ...... someone please help mee

[Moderator added: Science Buddies project: https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... p022.shtml ]
Craig_Bridge
Former Expert

Re: Getting started with my science fair project ......

Post by Craig_Bridge »

There are some good starting points in the Science Fair Project Guide https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... ndex.shtml.
Many projects succeed or fail on how well the investigator understands "The Scientific Method" and then how to come up with a question and hypothesis that can be tested safely and within your budget (time, equipment, and material costs).

Have you read up on the Scientific Method?
-Craig
Science1997
Project Question: Astronomy, ecology, paleontology, or entmology.
Project Due Date: April, 2012
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by Science1997 »

Hey there!
Yes, you can recieve scholarships, along with awards, and stepping forward, to a larger fair..
But to get one of those prizes, you usually have to have an advancd project; https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... ndex.shtml
Have fun ;)

Cheers!
Shamus
edneu3
Former Expert
Occupation: Engineer - Product & Technical Development Executive Director
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a

Post by edneu3 »

I'm sure you'll do just fine. You've selected a fun and interesting experiment to work on.

The other folks who have responded to you here on this site have given you good advice. I have been judging science fair projects at large and small science fairs for a long time. They best thing you can do is be prepared. Study all the information you can find about your topic. Follow the scientific method. Take great notes while you run your experiment. Think about what the really important parts of your experiment are and make those points part of your project display and report.

Most of all - HAVE FUN! : )
Ed Neu
Buffalo, MN
dason29
Former Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a

Post by dason29 »

Hello,
You have picked a great topic, and I am sure you will produce a great project. Don't forget to spend a little time thinking about your topic and why you chose it. That is the one question every judge asks, and most students struggle to answer. Also, what do you hope to learn from this project. That may provide you with a bit more direction for your study. Have fun.

DB

Return to “Grades 9-12: Physical Science”