helppp !!!!!!!

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

gothireve
Project Question: if im goin to do a science project in which diets is better on what should i do my research paper?
Project Due Date: December 01, 2011
Project Status: I am just starting

helppp !!!!!!!

Post by gothireve »

:wink: if im doin a science project in whidh diet is better .. in what subject should i do my research paper???? :?: :?: :?: :roll:
phonghuynh
Former Expert
Project Question: N/A
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: helppp !!!!!!!

Post by phonghuynh »

Hi,

If you are doing project diet, I think you can approach it in different ways. Right now, I can see that there is a big focus on human biology; namely, nutrition and metabolism.

It's hard to say what diet is "better" because all bodies function differently and metabolism is different in different individuals. Jeff may junk food everyday and not gain any body fat, but Bill can pack on several pounds of weight/fat on eating this same meal. There are a lot of variables. And no, I am not condoning junk food :)

I think what you can do is to begin your experiment or study with different diets and and to an introduction to metabolism (energy, calories, all of those topics). Perhaps you can measure calories in foods with a calorimeter, but I would ask your science instructor about that possibility.

I think it is difficult to do an experiment with human subjects due to variability mentioned above and other reasons (you certainly don't want someone going on a unhealthy diet :D )

Right now, I suggest that you take that question of yours and think up of more questions. What will be the focus of experiment/project? It is a bit broad right now.

I hope that helps!
donnahardy2
Former Expert

Post by donnahardy2 »

Hi,

I certainly agree with Phonhuynh that working with humans is challenging when doing a science fair project. You could certainly do it, but you would need to get signed consent forms from all participants and preapproval from your teacher. One possibility for a project would be to do research on one particular essential element, vitamin, or nutrient and then design a survey to find out if participants consume the recommended quantity of the specific nutrient. The following project on the Science Buddies website gives some background information for a project on nutrition. Please notice that the food pyramid here is out of date, so you need to update it to the latest recommendations.

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... p024.shtml

If you select "science fair project ideas," on the top of this page and search for "nutrition" and "project ideas only" you will bring up a list of 9 more food related projects. You can look through all of these projects for additional inspiration in selecting your final topic.

Good luck

Donna Hardy
gothireve
Project Question: if im goin to do a science project in which diets is better on what should i do my research paper?
Project Due Date: December 01, 2011
Project Status: I am just starting

Post by gothireve »

thx a lot for ur advices donnahardy2 and Phonhuynh thatl help me a lot :wink: :D mm my teacher alredy said i can do this experiment and the participant agreed too ..

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”