Sci fair project : Global Warming

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

atoz12345
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Sci fair project : Global Warming

Post by atoz12345 »

My question for my experiment is basically 'which is the best alternative energy source for combating/reducing global warming: fossil fuels, nuclear power, solar power, or wind power?' The problem is that i have no clue how to conduct an experiment for this, and whether i will even be able to. I was thinking of testing the levels of the different gas emissions that are produced from using each source, and the level of damage each does to the ozone layer, but how could i be able to test that?
donnahardy2
Former Expert

Re: Sci fair project : Global Warming

Post by donnahardy2 »

Hi,

You have an excellent idea for a project, however, it is a very vast topic and I cannot think of a single experiment that you could do that would answer your question. I recommend that you try to narrow your topic so you can do a well controlled experiment with measurable results. You can get some ideas on how to do this by checking the science fair project ideas on the Science Buddies website and searching for “global warming,” and “biofuels.” These searches will bring up a number of project ideas that you can use for inspiration, either to do as described or to adapt to your original idea.

I hope this helps. Let us know if you have any questions.

Donna Hardy
djschlesinger
Former Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Sci fair project : Global Warming

Post by djschlesinger »

Hi atoz12345,

Rather than perform actual experiments you could research the properties of the various forms of energy available and then select the one you think has the most benefit. Plenty of research has been done on the properties of nuclear energy (fission and fusion), fossil fuels (coal, oil and gas), hydroelectric, hydrogen, biofuels, wind, solar, and geothermal. You could research properties such as carbon emission, toxic by products, cost of building a power plant based on any of the technologies, the environmental impact of each technology, the availability of resources for each project (i.e. how much oil is there compared to wind or sunlight). And there are likely numerous other properties related to each form of energy. I would suggest that you check with your teachers first to make sure that a research based project will be acceptable. They may require you to perform actual experiments, which would be difficult. Although you should be able to build your own solar cell or wind turbine with kits purchased online or at a hobby store.

I hope this helps.

-Dave

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”