brain concussion questions on picture

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

Chad Ikegami
Project Question: Concussions
http://www.yalescientific.org/wp-conten ... ball_3.jpg

I have this brain concussion picture(link on the top)

I would like to know what the colors of this concussion brain mean?
Project Due Date: 1-4-2012
Project Status: I am conducting my research

brain concussion questions on picture

Post by Chad Ikegami »

On the right picture I researched and found out this was a concussion brain. I would like to know what the colors mean or show.

Thank You

Chad Ikegami
Attachments

[The extension doc has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

donnahardy2
Former Expert

Re: brain concussion questions on picture

Post by donnahardy2 »

Hi Chad,

There is no explanation included with the figures you found, so it's not possible to answer your question. Where did you find this information? Normally colored areas on brain images represent areas of brain activity, however, the normal brain image here is blank, so there's nothing to compare with the image of the concussion brain. Normally, when doing research for science projects, it's important to find scientific references, so I would disregard this source of information.

Here is a site from the National Institutes of Health that includes images of a normal and concussion brain that would probably be a better source of information for you to use.

http://www.ninds.nih.gov/news_and_event ... ussion.htm

Are you doing you science project on this topic?

Donna Hardy
Chad Ikegami
Project Question: Concussions
http://www.yalescientific.org/wp-conten ... ball_3.jpg

I have this brain concussion picture(link on the top)

I would like to know what the colors of this concussion brain mean?
Project Due Date: 1-4-2012
Project Status: I am conducting my research

Post by Chad Ikegami »

hi Ms.Hardy

thank you for your reply. My science fair project is on concussions. ( research project - board display ) I need to find diagrams to show what happens to the brain when a concussion occurs and diagrams of a normal brain. thank you for the link with the pictures and explanation. I don't quite understand - could you please explain it to me in simpler terms.

thanks

I appreciate your help and looking foward to your response
Last edited by Chad Ikegami on Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
donnahardy2
Former Expert

Post by donnahardy2 »

Hi Chad,

Thanks for your reply and explanation. It's nice to hear from you again, but please edit your last post right away and delete your name and school. One of the safety rules of the Science Buddies website is that we’re not supposed to post any personal information.

If you are in 6th grade, then the scientific paper that I posted is definitely to complex. You could probably use the images from the first link and say that the difference in the pictures shows a difference in brain activity between a normal and a concussion brain. You are going to proceed and explain what happens with a brain injury in your report, so you don't need more detail.

Here is a website that is a little easier and goes through each topic one at a time and it has links to other resources. Please read through this and ask me a specific question if there is something that you don't understand. I hope this will help you get started on your project.

http://www.cdc.gov/concussion/

Donna Hardy

Return to “Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”