Is this good enough?

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

DanaBallout
Project Question: The goal of this project is to use paper chromatography to see which dyes are used in the coatings of your favorite colored candies.
Project Due Date: January 13th
Project Status: I am just starting

Is this good enough?

Post by DanaBallout »

Hello :wink: Im in an IGCSE programme which is really tough and i need a good science fair project . I was browsing through the ideas and even used the wizard to see what i should pick and i chose the experiment: Candy Chromatography: What Makes Those Colors? "
"https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... Q&from=TSW"

But i dont know if it's good enough.. Any tipss? :?
wendellwiggins
Former Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Is this good enough?

Post by wendellwiggins »

Hello DanaBallout,

I don't have access to the details about what you are asked to do by the IGCSE, so I couldn't possibly answer your question with "yes" or "no". The Science Buddies Project Ideas also are not recipes for your project: they are ideas and information about science experiments that you can use to formulate your project.

Chromatography is a long-standing, important method for separating and analyzing mixtures of molecules. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromatography for just a survey of the many forms of chromatography. "Candy Chromatography" suggests a form of chromatography that you can do without great expense and elaborate equipment. The specifics of how you formulate the theme of your project, how you present the results, how you explain them, and how you connect your experiments to vital issues will do far more than just the bare idea to determine how well you are rated.

I suggest you review the IGCSE assignment along side "Candy Chromatography" and see if you can use that idea to build your project satisfactorily.

Please get back to us with any specific questions about the science and technology issues you encounter.

Good luck, WW

Return to “Grades 6-8: Physical Science”