Layout for a mathematics science project?

Ask questions about projects relating to: computer science or pure mathematics (such as probability, statistics, geometry, etc...).

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

jensen1
Project Question: How long would it take a molecule of air to be breathed by everyone on earth?
Project Due Date: January 3rd, 2012
Project Status: I am just starting

Layout for a mathematics science project?

Post by jensen1 »

I am doing a science project using Fermi Estimates. I want to know how long it would take a molecule of air to be breathed by everyone on earth. There is no hypothesis, just mathematics. What is a science fair board layout I can use?
hhemken
Former Expert

Re: Layout for a mathematics science project?

Post by hhemken »

jensen1,

Using this page as a reference:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fermi_problem

I would suggest a layout that has your question as the board title and shows your breakdown of the estimate starting on the left and right sides (these would be the numbered entries on the wikipedia page), with arrows pointing to the center panel where you tie everything up into your final estimate (these would be the actual calculations on the wikipedia page culminating in the result). This would lead the viewer's eye between the parts on the periphery and the conclusion in the center. Most likely, their gaze will go back and forth seeing how the parts flow into the final conclusion. The equations may be below the final result, so that the result would be visible from farther away. People would see the question and the answer from far away, and approach to see how you got it. There might be a brief and concise explanation of Fermi estimates on the upper part of one of the side panels (or somewhere easily visible) so they can understand your approach.

Good luck!

hhemken
Heinz Hemken
Mentor
Science Buddies Expert Forum

Return to “Grades 6-8: Math and Computer Science”