Maple syrup crystals science fair project HELP

AFTER you've done your research and concluded your experiments, it is time to prepare for the science fair. Ask specific questions about preparing for a science fair, including how to set up your display board, how to prepare a presentation, etc. (Please post questions about selecting a project or conducting your experiment by posting in the appropriate "area of science" forum.)

Moderators: kgudger, Moderators

cindyluwho
Project Question: maple sugar crystals
Project Due Date: jan 24th 2012
Project Status: I am conducting my experiment

Maple syrup crystals science fair project HELP

Post by cindyluwho »

My son and I found this science fair project here on science buddies. "Maple Syrup: For Pancakes, Waffles, and...Crystal Candy?"
We have tried the project 4 times now.
We are basically saposed to boil pure maple syrup until it is thick then put a dalop on a room temp cookie sheet and one that has ice on it. We are then saposed to watch the crystals grow.
Nothing.
We have tried boiling until it's almost pure sugar and tried boiling until just before it's thick. What are we doing wrong?
Are the crystals microscopic?
We thought this would be an awesome science project, he has already done most of the writen work for it.
Does anyone know how to make maple syrup crystals grow???????
Thanks.
John Dreher
Former Expert
Occupation: Astronomer, Professor of Physics, SETI Researcher (retired)
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Maple syrup crystals science fair project HELP

Post by John Dreher »

Please take a look at the following URL:

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... =24&t=4852

Hope it will help!
amyc
Site Admin
Project Question: N/A
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Maple syrup crystals science fair project HELP

Post by amyc »

Hi Cindyluwho - I'm sorry to hear that your son has not been seeing crystals form as expected in the project. In addition to the other thread that John pointed out, this thread also contains advice and troubleshooting for this project:

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... 97&p=29137

In addition, the advice from Donna, part of our team of Experts at Ask an Expert, may prove helpful if it turns out that your son doesn't observe crystals after another trial.

Here are a few additional suggestions and things to check that may help:

-- starting with the syrup at room temperature may help with crystal formation

--the humidity of the environment can affect crystal formation. How was the weather during testing?

-- make sure the pan is VERY clean. Water, oil or soap residue can cause a problem with the formation of crystals

Let us know how it is going and if you have additional questions.

Good luck with the project!

Amy
Science Buddies

Return to “Grades K-5: Getting Ready for the Science Fair”