Crystals

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

coopermohler
Project Question: What can crystals be used for in the future?
Project Due Date: Febuary 18th 2012
Project Status: I am finished with my experiment and analyzing the data

Crystals

Post by coopermohler »

What can crystals be used for in the future?
edneu3
Former Expert
Occupation: Engineer - Product & Technical Development Executive Director
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Crystals

Post by edneu3 »

We experts here on the Science Buddies forum will be glad to help you answer a specific question, or help you solve a special problem.

Crystals come in all sizes shapes and forms, and are used today for a very broad range of applications and purposes. It's really hard to answer your questions because it is so broad. You haven't even let us know what kinds of crystals you're interested in.

Help us help you by asking a question that is much more specific, or tell us what kinds of research and/or experiments you have been doing with crystals so far.

We hope to hear from you again.
Ed Neu
Buffalo, MN
coopermohler
Project Question: What can crystals be used for in the future?
Project Due Date: Febuary 18th 2012
Project Status: I am finished with my experiment and analyzing the data

Post by coopermohler »

I am doing an experiment on hot ice. The type of crystals I am using are crystals formed from solid sodium acetate. The reason I am asking this question is because my teacher requested an application which requires me to find out what these types of crystals can be used for in our present time. Hot ice is solid sodium acetate.
edneu3
Former Expert
Occupation: Engineer - Product & Technical Development Executive Director
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by edneu3 »

Thank you for the additional details about your question.

In your particular case, the fact that your material, sodium acetate, is a crystal form, has very little to do with it's commercial value. Sodium acetate is used for a very wide variety of purposes for it's chemical properties.

This is unlike many other materials which are used primarily for their crystal properties. The most notable of these is diamond - a crystal form of the ordinary element, carbon. It is the crystal properties of diamond that give it it's value. Another very common material that is prized for it's crystal properties is a combination of silicon and oxygen known as quartz. Quartz is used in countless ways where it is set to vibrate by applying a voltage to it. It has been used as radio frequency oscillators for decades.

In a similar manner, there are many ceramic materials that have crystal properties that are similar to quartz. In some cases, these crystal materials are used as micro-actuators, that is when a voltage is applied to them they expand, creating a very small amount of motion.

I suggest you do a bit more research about crystals and their properties, then do some brain-storming and see if you can dream up some ways they might be used in the future.

Good luck with your project, and HAVE FUN!
Ed Neu
Buffalo, MN

Return to “Grades 6-8: Physical Science”