QUESTIONS

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

Sophie99
Project Question: Where there is charge, there can be sparks.
Project Due Date: April 1, 2012
Project Status: I am finished with my experiment and analyzing the data

QUESTIONS

Post by Sophie99 »

If you were a judge, what would you ask for a question on: "Where There Is Charge, There Can Be Sparks?"
rmarz
Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: QUESTIONS

Post by rmarz »

Sophie99 - If I were a judge in any science fair I would want to know how well the participant understood the experiment and be able to explain in clear terms what the experiment was, how it worked, what it demonstrated and how that could apply to our lives. Probably more than one question, but usually one question and it's explanation leads to another question. I might even start the conversation with your title "Where There Is Charge, There Can Be Sparks" and ask you to explain that.

Rick Marz
Goldenzenith
Former Student Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: QUESTIONS

Post by Goldenzenith »

Hi, Sophie!

It sounds like you're preparing for a fair, so it's great that you want to be as ready as possible! One question that immediately comes to mind is why you chose to call the project "Where There Is Charge, There Can Be Sparks!" Of course, it's the title given by ScienceBuddies, but why did you think it was a suitable, appropriate title? Other questions I would ask are:

1. What makes your project stand out? Why is it unique? (This may actually be easy to answer, since most kids usually do projects on plant growth or detergent. But you chose one of the lesser done ones!)

2. Why are you so interested in your topic? What is your inspiration?

3. What is the significance of your results? In other words, why does the project matter and how do you think it relates to daily life?

4. Do you plan to build on "Where There Is Charge, There Can Be Sparks!" in the future? If so, what are some next-step questions you have in mind?

Granted, these are just a few of the questions you might actually be asked. As Rick Marz noted, it's best to ensure that you know your project inside and out and have a firm grasp of each concept it employs.

Hope this helped,
RM
Need an idea or some inspiration?
http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-fair-projects/project_ideas.shtml

Want to read up on awesome projects and science/math-related news?
http://www.sciencebuddies.org/blog/index.php

Enjoy! :D
-RM, Expert

Return to “Grades 6-8: Physical Science”