deforestation

Ask specific questions about careers in science. Questions may be related to information in the Science Careers area of the Science Buddies website or may relate to specific projects or areas of research.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

bechirammar
Project Question: environment
Project Due Date: 4/28/2012
Project Status: I am just starting

deforestation

Post by bechirammar »

Hey i just read the articles" special report on forests in the Sept. 25, 2010 " about the deforestation of the Amazon , and i'm willing to write an essay about the issues and stakeholders on this subject by categorizing them within the 5 dimensions:(Physical,social,economic,political and business) and and their interactions as in the ACE framework.Could you please help me by providing some answers of those questions :
Describe shortly the Physical domain related to deforestation. How are the parts of the physical environment related to each other? What are some of the trends?

What is the Social domain related to this issue? Who are the main stakeholders in the Social domain and what role are they playing?

Describe shortly the Political domain. Comment on Brazil’s policies and regulations regarding deforestation and their implementation, and on the position of the Brazilian government’s as part of the international community.

What are Brazil’s challenges in the Economic domain towards creating and maintaining economic growth?

What are the main industries / businesses involved in the Business domain? How does REDD provide an incentive to stop deforestation? To whom are the REDD incentives to be paid?

Describe the interaction between the social and business domains.

Comment on Brazil’s trade-offs between natural protection and economic growth. Many households and businesses make a living using forest products. How does this affect Brazil’s efforts to tighten the environmental regulations?

In Brazil (as in most countries) there are two levels of political power: national and local. How does the distribution of power between two levels affect the success of environmental reforms?
Thank you for your help
jmehta14
Former Expert
Project Question: Do probiotics with antibiotics have a greater affect on different types of bacteria?
Project Due Date: March 1st
Project Status: I am finished with my experiment and analyzing the data

Re: deforestation

Post by jmehta14 »

Hi,
This is a good question for social science and I would recommend you to go to the local library or your school library and also look up the national geographic magazine for current info on the topic. This is a very broad topic covering the social, economic and political dynamics in a region with regards to deforestation and so you will have significant info to gather for writing on deforestation. You will also have to refer to Biology for finding the effects of deforestaion in any particular region. I hope this helps
Jay

Return to “Careers in Science”