IF CHLOROPLAST IS INCLUDED IN AN ANIMAL-CELL.

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

polo
Project Question: Topic:IF CHLOROPLAST IS INCLUDED IN AN ANIMAL-CELL.
What will be the process?
Related questions:
1. Sequence of the genes/chromosomes responsible for chloroplast-synthesis? (must answer)
2. What will be the proposed immunity system?
3. As the structures of chlorophyll & hemoglobin are quasi same, so let me aware about the probable problems..
4. Where the chloroplast should be placed in a cell?
Project Due Date: 30.04.2012
Project Status: I am just starting

IF CHLOROPLAST IS INCLUDED IN AN ANIMAL-CELL.

Post by polo »

Hello Scientist! I'm Polo, currently a school-student. There is a question in my mind-" IF CHLOROPLAST IS INCLUDED IN AN ANIMAL-CELL. '' What will we get? Are we going to have a green animal making foods in its body? If yes. Then What is the process? Now some questions are irritating me. I will be highly obliged if anyone help me! Here these are:

1. Sequence of the genes/chromosomes responsible for chloroplast-synthesis? (must answer)
2. What will be the proposed immunity system?
3. As the structures of chlorophyll & hemoglobin are quasi same, so let me aware about the probable problems..
4. Where the chloroplast should be placed in a cell?

I cordially request you, please give me the answers as soon as possible.

Thanking you.

polo
donnahardy2
Former Expert

Re: IF CHLOROPLAST IS INCLUDED IN AN ANIMAL-CELL.

Post by donnahardy2 »

Hi Polo,

Welcome to Science Buddies! You have certainly selected a very interesting, but challenging topic. Chloroplasts contain their own DNA, which contain from a few dozen to over 200 genes, so I’m not certain if the exact sequence that you might be interesting in is available. The following website appears to be a good source of information on this topic, which is outside my area of expertise:

http://chloroplast.cbio.psu.edu

Your question on immunity is a good one because any foreign antigens will stimulate the immune response in an animal, and would certainly eliminate a chloroplast from a cell.

http://pathmicro.med.sc.edu/mobile/m.immuno-9.htm

This is not a simple topic that would lend itself to a single controlled experiment that you need for a science project. There appears to be a potential for doing several thousand different experiments to solve all of the problems I recommend that you do additional background research and try to narrow your topic.

Do let me know if you have any specific questions.

Donna Hardy
HeatherL
Former Expert
Project Question: How do different animals adapt to their environment?
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: IF CHLOROPLAST IS INCLUDED IN AN ANIMAL-CELL.

Post by HeatherL »

Hi Polo,

As Donna mentioned, you have an extremely interesting question that is quite complicated to answer with a simple experiment. Another factor to consider is whether the chloroplast can function on its own. Mitochondria, for example, do have their own DNA but also rely on DNA from the cell's nucleus to function properly. The situation may be similar for chloroplasts, and if the "support" DNA is not in the nucleus of the animal cell, the chloroplast may not function properly.

I hope you are able to find a way to answer a simple question from this idea, since it really is a great topic!

Best,
Heather

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”