I Need a Project Idea! Please Help!

Questions related to finding and working with a mentor, finding an idea, etc.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

bmirish898
Project Question: N/ A
Project Due Date: February 2013
Project Status: Not applicable

I Need a Project Idea! Please Help!

Post by bmirish898 »

Hi All,
I will be participating in PRESEF in early 2013. If I do well, I can qualify for ISEF. However, I am struggling to come up with project ideas. I'm looking to do a project in either the math, medicine and health, technology, or biology categories. To do well at PRESEF I need a research project that is original, advanced, and that can be applicable in the real world. Could any of you give me some ideas or tips to find some. I'm open to anything as long as it has a chance to take me to ISEF. Anybody who made it to ISEF or know how to would be much help.

Thanks
donnahardy2
Former Expert

Re: I Need a Project Idea! Please Help!

Post by donnahardy2 »

Hi,

I apologize for the delay in responding to your inquiry. Even though it's a little later, I hope the following information will be helpful.

For an ISEF project, you need a project that is challenging and completely original. You need to narrow your vast area of interest to one specific topic that you can investigate with a well controlled experiment. To help you get started, go to the topic selection wizard on the Science Buddies website and answer questions, to help you select a project idea.

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... deas.shtml

If this doesn’t help, then go to the “Browse the Project Ideas Index,” and look for project ideas with a difficulty of greater than 5. Find a topic that appeals to you and that you would be interested in working on for a few months.

Next try to narrow your topics down to 4-5 topics and then read as much background information as you can, preferably from scientific articles, and look for a specific problem that needs to be solved. The major topic should be of great significance for human health or the environment. You will find a description of problems in the introduction section of research papers as this is where the authors explain why they did the specific research.

You should also review the Science Fair Project Guide from the Science Buddies website to get an idea of all of the steps you will be doing. At this point, you are trying to develop your question, and this is a very critical step that will ensure the success of the rest of the project.

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... ndex.shtml

If you will let me know what you topics you are thinking about, I can give you some additional specific suggestions that will help you get to the next step.

Donna Hardy
bmirish898
Project Question: N/ A
Project Due Date: February 2013
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: I Need a Project Idea! Please Help!

Post by bmirish898 »

Thanks for the input. I am now thinking about doing a project involving predicting global or climate change in the next 100 years and it's effect on something. Can this be a good project- maybe ISEF? Any tips on how to investigate the question? Thanks.

Return to “Getting Started”