I need some advice on making a decision

Ask questions about projects relating to: computer science or pure mathematics (such as probability, statistics, geometry, etc...).

Moderators: kgudger, bfinio, Moderators

TNO123
Project Question: Computer Programming
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: I am just starting

I need some advice on making a decision

Post by TNO123 »

I have recently chosen to do a science fair project but am having a bit of trouble making that first step.
I slimmed it down to either doing a project on NANORGs (simulation) or on Storytelling Alice (animation). I would really like to give the NANORG project a try but I can't seem to even get it started. I run the exe from the cmd prompt and it gives me the usual menu with all the program's commands but when it comes to testing my org.asm it never picks up on it, it only gives me an invalid player file error
this is what is in my cmd prompt
/c/Users/TNO/Sci/Contest06.exe -p:org.asm
Error loading settings:
invalid player file
As for the Alice, I think thats a little easier since I'm somewat talented at making documentaries and films (I've made state in History Day plenty of times), and animation isn't really something new to me. But I wonder how exactly would I present it at the science fair?
yijunhu1998
Project Question: NANORG
Project Status: I am conducting my experiment

Re: I need some advice on making a decision

Post by yijunhu1998 »

As for the cmd prompt, I think you might have saved your program as "org.asm.txt", or something. You could try going back and opening the file using Notepad, and saving it as "org.asm" instead of renaming it. That's what happened to me. Hope this helps!
yijunhu1998

Post by yijunhu1998 »

If you need tips for NANORG, feel free to contact me here... I won state with this project, and I'm going to take it further, but I can still help. I'm no expert though... :?
Last edited by yijunhu1998 on Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MelissaB

Post by MelissaB »

Please note that Science Buddies does not allow posting of personal information such as e-mail addresses, and asks that all communication take place on the forum. Please feel free to ask or answer any questions here on this thread, though. Thanks!
TNO123

Post by TNO123 »

Sure I can use all the help I can get, I had the file saved as org.asm and even after opening it in notepad and renaming it to something simpler like for example "A.asm" it did not accept it. Under the file type it states its an ASM file so I'm sure that is not the problem. Have in mind I'm still using the ASM file that came with the NANORG download
yijunhu1998

Post by yijunhu1998 »

Is your .asm file saved under the sci folder? If the cmd prompt says that the player file is invalid, that means that it cannot find it. The player file should be right next to the contest06.exe file. Hope this helps!
TNO123

Post by TNO123 »

Sorry for the late reply, but I finally got it running. All I had to do was run it in compatibility mode under Windows XP service pack 3. It now runs flawlessly. Do you have any tips for programming?
Edit: Also I was wondering how I can go about presenting this in the usual sciencefair format? With a Problem, Solution, Hypothesis, and all that...
yijunhu1998

Post by yijunhu1998 »

Well, I guess we're all running late this summer! When I did science fair, I used differentiating programs as a comparison-- whether a nanorg programmed to do this is better than a nanorg that does that, etc. You can base your format off of this. A helpful piece of advise is to go for the enemy drones. Focus on your objective, and find what really is hindering progress. Also, check out Matthew Menke's program for more help. http://svn.saurik.com/repos/menes/trunk ... c/winners/

Return to “Grades 9-12: Math and Computer Science”