Cancer Project Idea

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

researcher3
Project Question: Ovarian cancer
Project Due Date: January 2013
Project Status: I am just starting

Cancer Project Idea

Post by researcher3 »

Hi Everybody,

I would like to design and complete a cancer research project. I've already looked at the Science Buddies experiments and various science fair projects from before. Does anybody have any ideas? In the past, I have tested various chemicals on cancer cells in vitro. This year, I am also interested in gene expression.

Thanks!
Researcher3
donnahardy2
Former Expert

Re: Cancer Project Idea

Post by donnahardy2 »

Hi,

It's very good that you are starting early on your project! Since you have already checked out the Science Buddies website for ideas, you can also start with current events to find inspiration for your project question. Here are some examples that I found by searching for "news on cancer research:"

Here is a news report that shows an association of pan fried red meat with an increased risk of prostate cancer. Perhaps you could do an experiment that would show how to cook red meat to reduce cancer risk. Remember you need to have a test method that will give you measurable results:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 170404.htm

Here's a news report about the association of inflammation caused by bacterial infections and cancer. The authors showed that the presence of E. coli in the intestinal tract of mice promoted tumor formation. I wonder how the E. coli cause cancer. This topic would be ideal project for a gene expression project.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 141527.htm

Here's an interesting first ever report of skin cancer in fish that live directly beneath the ozone layer hole. I wonder if the cancer is being caused the excess radiation or some other reason. I wonder if there's an increase in melanoma in fish in other parts of the world. This would be a very unique science fair topic and, depending on the experimental design, might involve frequent fishing trips.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 185108.htm

There are dozens of other current events reports on cancer research, so continue reading until you find a subject that appeals to you and that you have the resources available to work on. Try to look up the original reference articles and related articles and look at the materials and methods sections to find out what specific techniques could be used in the investigation. Try to identify one specific question that you can answer with your project.

I hope this will help you get started. Good luck! Let us know if you have more questions.

Donna Hardy

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”