Going back to uni for chemical engineering-- B.S. or M.E.?

Ask specific questions about careers in science. Questions may be related to information in the Science Careers area of the Science Buddies website or may relate to specific projects or areas of research.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

khatmet
Project Question: N/A
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Going back to uni for chemical engineering-- B.S. or M.E.?

Post by khatmet »

Hi everyone! I have a B.S. in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology and am thinking about going back to school to study Chemical Engineering. I am not sure if I should enter a bachelors or Master of Engineering program. Any thoughts?

I would rather get the Masters, since
1) it would involve less coursework (even with the pre-reqs I would need to take before admission)
2) my university's M. Eng program is designed specifically for for working professionals (I work full-time)

I am not sure how employable I would be without the bachelors in Chemical Engineering. Is there a market for a biochemist with a graduate degree in chemical engineering?

-khatmet
tyber
Project Question: To help in encouraging youth's interest in the scientific community
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Going back to uni for chemical engineering-- B.S. or M.E

Post by tyber »

Dear khatmet,
Yes, there is a market for biochemists with a M.S. in Chemical engineering. If you look into chemical production companies that are tailored to making chemicals for biological applications. (such as companies that are making vaccines or pharmaceuticals in a large scale) In my opinion, you should get a masters, it will show your future employer that you are more capable in performing on your own when compared to someone with a bachelors and a M.E. is more employable than a B.S. The only down side is you might have to move to an area that is heavily saturated in the biotech market. I hope this helps.

Tyber
Ggipunjab
Project Question: I am a student and doing the civil engineering and i have some queries about my study..
Project Due Date: 17 july
Project Status: I am just starting

Re: Going back to uni for chemical engineering-- B.S. or M.E

Post by Ggipunjab »

khatmet gives right suggestion to go with the B.S or M.E..
Find and search B.Tech colleges in Punjab
Website - http://ggi.ac.in/btech_it.html

Return to “Careers in Science”