Music to Your Ears
Next time you visit a mall, watch a movie, or play a video game, pay close attention to the music you hear. Are you being manipulated by music?
What sort of music do you like to listen to? Do certain songs put you in the mood for dancing? Do other songs give you quieter, calmer feelings? Why do you think malls play holiday music in December?
Retailers know that when shoppers are in the right mood, they may spend more money, so they create and choose their soundtracks accordingly. Similarly, people who make movies and video games use music to affect our emotions or expectations. Different types of music can build tension in a scene, make us relaxed and happy, or let us know that something is about to happen.
It's for Scientific Purposes!
Want a great excuse to visit a mall, watch a movie, or design a video game? Explore these Science Buddies Project Ideas to discover how professionals use music:
- Background Bop: Do Different Businesses Play Different Tempos in Background Music? *: Learn how to measure the tempo of a song, then visit a variety of businesses and see how their music compares. What does music tempo say about the kind of shopping experience a store or business is trying to create?
- Movie Music: Watch a variety of movies and explore how they use music to create a mood. Do similar scenes in different movies share similar types of music?
- Playing Along with Video Games: Investigating the Role of Procedural Music: Explore how video game makers employ music, and then use YoYo GameMaker to create your own game. How can you use music to enhance the gaming experience?
Making Music Connections
If you enjoy music, you might also be interested in these ideas related to classical music:
Make a Career of It!
Think it would be cool to spend your time playing with sound? Explore the career of a sound engineering technician. Movies, concerts, sporting events, and television are just a few of the places where you could find yourself working with sound.
You Might Also Enjoy these Previous Entries:
- Real-world Blood Typing and the Value of Blood Donation
- A Pet Science Project Success
- Laurel vs. Yanny and Student STEM
- Inspiring Students about STEM Careers and Robotics
- Celebrate Engineers Week with the Fluor Challenge
- Can Aerodynamic Suits Give U.S. Speed Skaters an Edge?
- Put a Heart Health Spin on Valentine's Day
- Classroom Science for Flu Season