Biogas experiment

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

Magnetcar

Biogas experiment

Post by Magnetcar »

hi i'm Calvin in grade 8 i'm planning to do a project on bio gas using different materials. i was just wondering how to measure how much gas was produced? :D
LilGreenFrog
Former Expert
Project Question: Joined to be an expert
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Biogas experiment

Post by LilGreenFrog »

Hi Calvin, can you tell me more about your experiment? How are you planning on generating your gas? That will have an impact on how you collect and measure any gas produced. I'd like to point you toward a science buddies experiment:
https://www.sciencebuddies.org/blog/sci ... and-biogas

This uses manure to produce methane.

Also, you should read through this discussion, and see if it answers some of your questions.
viewtopic.php?t=5536

Please let us know if that puts you on the right track!
LilGreenFrog
Molecular and cellular biologist
EmmaGriffiths
Student Expert

Post by EmmaGriffiths »

Hey Calvin!

This sounds really cool, and you should definitely consider LilGreenFrog's advice!

I'm not sure of your project's details/procedure, but I have measured gas production using this easy method and I wanted to throw it out there:

1. Whatever materials are creating the bio gas can be placed in a test tube sealed with a one hole stopper.
2. This test tube can be submerged in a beaker of water with the stopper facing upward and still under water. By doing this, you can count the number of bubbles that rise out of the water in a given amount of time.

This method is very simple; it will not give you exact measurements, but it is a way to compare gas production between two or more materials.

I wish you luck on your project!

Emma
Magnetcar

Post by Magnetcar »

Thanks Emma and Lil greenfrog for the advice. Now that I am ready to actually do the project, after reading through all the info, I am wondering if I could do it indoors in my home. It is peak winter and I can't have any windows open. If I do it outside I wouldn't have the right temperature for the experiment. Would it be safe if I do it indoors ?

Thanks for your advice.
Calvin

Return to “Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”