Help Needed Immediately

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

rrv17
Former Student Expert

Re: Help Needed Immediately

Post by rrv17 »

Hello,

Is there a rubric that your teacher used? Is there a specific area that they took points off of?

-Regina
rrv17
Former Student Expert

Post by rrv17 »

I would put a bit more information about Snell's law, like maybe how it was derived or the usage of it.
rrv17
Former Student Expert

Post by rrv17 »

Sorry for the multiple posts but here is a breakdown of the things needed in a final report:
https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... nal-report

Hope this helps as well,
-Regina
student12397

trifold

Post by student12397 »

I want get at least a 8/10 but tommorow is tri-fold day.
Tri-fold questions
What should be the size of the tittle and sub titles and the normal text
What should the three colors of the trifold be?
A more important question would be do the judges read your tri-fold?

Application/Extension:
Refraction is the fact or phenomenon of light, radio waves, etc. being deflected in passing obliquely through the interface between one medium and another or through a medium of varying density. Refraction has many applications in optics and technology. A lens uses refraction to form an image of an object for many different purposes, such as magnification. A prism uses refraction to form a spectrum of colors from an incident beam of light. Refraction also plays an important role in the formation of a mirage and other optical illusions.
Overall science fair this year was pretty successful there were a lot of things, I did right and wrong, there much to take forward for next year. With things I did wrong, I believe the tests I did went quite smoothly and had not many problems but as any experiment, it still had sources of error that could had altered the results. One problem is that the beam of light would not have hit the centerfold, which would affect the angle of incidence and of refraction, also it makes worse if you don’t position the laser. one more error would have been that I had sometimes have had measured the angle of incidence and angle of refraction wrong which was a big problem having to make me do the experiment again. Another error would be the laser itself, make sure it works and isn’t faulty so it refracts and is visible. Finally I learned the lighting can affect the refraction and visibility of the lasers so next time, I would make sure there is no lighting in the room to make the results more accurate.
student12397

Post by student12397 »

Link to all my stuff it would be nice if you could take a look and give one last edit
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1aCf ... HJFWA/edit
rrv17
Former Student Expert

Post by rrv17 »

Hello,

Here are some sites for a breakdown of Snell's Law: And for the other questions:
The title should be big enough to be read across the room. Any subtitles should be a bit smaller, but still legible from about ten or so feet away. Normal text should be legible to read about five or fewer feet away (this is all an approximation, make sure everything fits!).
The judges will read your trifold and look at any other displays that you have (such as if you had a laser pointer on that was pointed towards a piece of glass). Make sure that it is neat and eye-catching.

Here is a link for any more tri-fold information:
https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... lay-boards

Good luck!
-Regina
student12397

Post by student12397 »

Overall what do you think about my project. Tommorow we are presenting our trifolds to the kids in our school and to the public and was thinking of makin a script but don't know where to start.
rrv17
Former Student Expert

Post by rrv17 »

Hello,

It's an interesting topic, so gather attention by saying something interesting. Maybe something like:

"Refraction. It is something we take for granted, yet it is so important to this day and age."
Ask people to raise their hands if they wear glasses, then ask if they used a magnifying glass or a microscope.
"These inventions utilize this amazing concept..." and then delve into the project from there.

I hope this can kickstart that script. Good luck!
-Regina
student12397

Post by student12397 »

Judges in my school usually ask question like what were the results so I just did this for my presentation or do you think I should change it.
Refraction. It is something we take for granted, yet it is so important to this day and age.
Ask people to raise their hands if they wear glasses, then ask if they used a magnifying glass or a microscope.These inventions utilize this amazing concept. In my project, The objective of this science project is to see how does light refract differently when traveling through different mediums. The reproduction of waves has both a speed and a direction, called the velocity. The velocity of light changes depending on the material it travels through. Light waves can be changed in a few different ways. Reflection is when the waves bounce off a surface and change direction. Diffraction spreads out light waves. The third type of light behavior is refraction. Refraction is where light waves pass through a material (called a medium) and changes direction. In the end with my results I figured out as light travels through different materials, it scatters off the molecules in the material and is slowed down so the density is the factor to how fast light travels through a medium. The direction of the light is also decided by the density, the denser the medium is, the light bends more towards the normal.
rrv17
Former Student Expert

Post by rrv17 »

Hello,

Sounds pretty good to me.

-Regina
student12397

Post by student12397 »

would there also be a way to simplify my hypothesis, observations/analysis, and conclusion but the main points are kept.
Anyways how would you simplify snell's law, I and simplify my caluations in steps.
rrv17
Former Student Expert

Post by rrv17 »

Hello,

To shorten your hypothesis, observations/analysis, and conclusions down to a few sentences or less, I would do:

Hypothesis- If the medium that light is going through is more dense compared to air and other mediums, then that medium will make the light bend more towards normal as well as slow it down because velocity of light is determined by the material through which the light is traveling.

Observations/Analysis- In my experiment, the angle of refraction was 50 degrees for air, 18 degrees for pepsi, 20 degrees for diet coke, 24 degrees for water, and 14 degrees for oil; therefore, we can observe that as a substance becomes denser, the light bends more towards the normal. Using the formula n=c/v, it was also found that light travels at a speed of 225563909.774 metres per second in water, 204081632.653 m/s in oil, 219941348.97 m/s in pepsi, 223048327.138 m/s in diet coke and 299,792,458 m/s in air, proving how density plays a role in the velocity of right as well.

Conclusion- The experiment supported my hypothesis of light being affected by the density of the medium it passes through, as evident by the changes in speed and angle that were observed. Refraction, as a whole, is a phenomenon that makes image formation possible by the eye as well as by cameras, eyeglasses, and other systems of lenses.

Snell's Law- The equation that was used to calculate the change in angle was as follows:
n1sinθ1=n2sinθ2
with n1 and n2 being the refractive index of two different mediums, and sinθ1 plus sinθ2 being the two different angles created. The refractive index is a numerical representation of how light will change when entering a specific medium.

Calculations- To find the velocity, each medium was plugged into the equation:
n=c/v
and was solved for v. To change the equation so that v became the dependent variable, n was first multiplied by v to get nv=c. Then, n was divided on both sides to get v=c/n, the equation that was used to find the velocity.

This should be sufficient, good luck!

-Regina V.
student12397

Post by student12397 »

I'm sorry for asking again but how would I simplify my application/ extension or possible errors.
rrv17
Former Student Expert

Post by rrv17 »

Hello,

To simplify your application/extension and possible errors, I would say:

Application/Extension- Refractions has numerous uses that are seen in daily life, a main one being magnification, but others including optical illusions and prisms. Light not hitting the centerfold, incorrect measurements, and faulty lasers were possible errors that could have arisen during this experiment.

Hope this helps!
-Regina V.
student12397

Post by student12397 »

I just checked my school's marking sheet and it says improvement. I don't remember doing improvement last year. Also when it says attractive does it have to actually good or just organized and look like you tried.

Return to “Grades 6-8: Physical Science”