Help

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

Denisse89

Help

Post by Denisse89 »

I am making a projetc called"From Brine to Beverage : Solar-Powered Removal. Could you please tell me why the rocks are use in this proyects because I have searched and I have not found the reason. And where I can find How salinity affects the desalination because I have searched and I just have found where the salt goes.
SciB
Expert
Occupation: Retired molecular biologist, university researcher and teacher
Project Question: I wish to join Scibuddies to be able to help students achieve the best science project possible and to understand the science behind it.
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Help

Post by SciB »

Hi Denisse,

Welcome to Scibuddies! I can help your with your questions.

If you look at the photo of the desalinators in the project procedure description: https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... #procedure

it shows a small rock in the center of the plastic sheet right over the collection cup. The purpose of this is to create a depression in the plastic sheet so that it is angled down. As the water vapor condenses on the plastic, the droplets will run down the plastic to the center and then drip into the cup. If the plastic sheet was stretched straight across, the condensed water would just drip anywhere and only a few drops would hit the cup.

The big question here is which evaporates faster, fresh water or salt water. I haven't done the experiment to prove it, but I would bet that fresh water evaporates faster than salt water, all other things like temperature, relative humidity and air movement being equal. If you do a search for the question you will find many hits on google. Here is one that explains the chemistry behind the evaporation very clearly and simply: http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/19 ... .Ch.r.html

Let me know the results of your experiment, and remember to do all the tests at least three times so you can get an average which is more accurate than a single reading.

Good luck,

Sybee

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”