Antioxidity

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

AayatiP

Antioxidity

Post by AayatiP »

Hi, I am doing the antioxidant activity project. I think I got some ideas from other questions but I still have my own. So my questions are:
Is there any way to get Vitamin A, B, C, and E isolated?
If I get a powder version or liquid version of the vitamin can I put it in a cup and mix it in with water? And would that even work when I put something like an apple in?
And that brings me to my last question which is can I use an apple to test for aging since it has plant cells? If not which type of fruit/vegetable should I use?
Please help. Thank You! :D
Saanya
Student Expert

Re: Antioxidity

Post by Saanya »

Hi,
I found a company that sells pure vitamin powder called BulkSupplements. You can buy from them off Amazon (here is the link for Vitamin E: https://www.amazon.com/BulkSupplements- ... 0YOMA?th=1.) You can click around to find the rest of the vitamins you are looking for.

Putting the powder in water and putting an apple in should work. Indeed, the apple itself is a combination of antioxidants and water. HOWEVER: only Vitamins B and C are water soluble. Vitamins A, D, E, and K are fat-soluble only. So this would really only work with Vitamins B and C.

Apples would work! They are also rich in Vitamin C.

What is your approach to this experiment? You could possibly try to see how long an apple slice takes to brown by itself (Vitamin C) and then dip it in another vitamin and see how much longer the apple survives (subtract the added-vitamin-browning time from the the plain-apple browning time). Just an idea!

Here's a link to the ScienceBuddies Antioxidants project idea: https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... tioxidants.

Good luck on your experiment!

Saanya

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”