Question about DIY Mini Drone: Free Flight activity

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

Ashven

Question about DIY Mini Drone: Free Flight activity

Post by Ashven »

Can i replace the MOSFETs with L298n Motor Drivers? If its possible please let me know how as soon as possible. Also, does the propellers orientation affects the direction the wind is blown from each motors? because if i use normal motors with propellers, like the ones used in mini fans, the wind is going to be blown above each propellers. how do i fix this?

-------------------------------------
Leave this to help the Experts:
The activity can be viewed at: DIY Mini Drone: Free Flight
bfinio
Expert
Project Question: Expert
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Question about DIY Mini Drone: Free Flight activity

Post by bfinio »

Hi,

1. Yes, you should be able to replace the MOSFETs with L293 motor drivers.
2. You can reverse the direction a DC motor spins by reversing the direction of current through it. You can do this by switching the + and - wires. This will make the air blow in the opposite direction. However, note that the propellers in our kit come in pairs - two clockwise (CW) and two counterclockwise (CCW). They are mirror images of each other and spin in opposite direction, so the net effect of their rotation (2 CW and 2CCW cancels out). If you use four identical fan blades and all four of them spin in the same direction, then their rotation will NOT cancel out, and due to conservation of angular momentum, your drone's body will tend to spin in the opposite direction.

Return to “Grades 9-12: Physical Science”