Newton's three Laws of motion

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

InquiringMind18
Project Question: My child wants to do a windmill project demonstrating Newton's all 3 Laws of motion. Is this doable or is there another project that would encompass all of Newton's Laws? How would one go about constructing a windmill. Student is only in 6th grade so nothing too advanced. They also have to relate certain terms such as Net Force, Magnetic Force, Gravitational force, Contact Force, and Positive and Negative acceleration, etc.
Project Due Date: January 17, 2020
Project Status: I am conducting my research

Newton's three Laws of motion

Post by InquiringMind18 »

Hi,

My child has a project that they have to do that encompasses all of Newton's three Laws of Motion. He wants to construct a windmill showing this, nothing too advanced, child is in 6th grade. We are not exactly sure where to begin and we don't know if this idea would work to encompass all three of Newton's Laws of Motion. Also, he has to figure out what the Inertia, Average speed, (Net, Magnetic, Gravitational, and Contact) forces, (Negative, Positive, Centripetal) acceleration, etc.

He also has to have: two problems determine speed when distance and time are given
two problems determining distance when speed and time are given
two problems determine time when speed and distance are given

If you happen to have any other ideas that might fit this project better please all ideas are welcomed. Thank you for your time and help!
Best Regards,
Clueless Parent
bfinio
Expert
Project Question: Expert
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Newton's three Laws of motion

Post by bfinio »

Hi,

For a beginner project like this about Newton's Laws, I would suggest working with something that moves in a straight line instead of something that rotates (like a windmill). It's a little easier to understand and do the math. We have a lot of "car" projects that work pretty well with Newton's laws and things like calculating speed. They might be a good place to start - you can find them linked in this blog post:

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/blog/car ... e-projects

Hope that helps, write back if you have more questions!

Ben
lmp1341
Former Expert

Re: Newton's three Laws of motion

Post by lmp1341 »

Hi!
Awesome project idea!
Though we're happy to help you here, I suggest you post your question in the Physical Science forum. That way, experts who are more knowledgeable about this kind of subject can help you out, even though the other mentor who helped you did an awesome job!

Just a suggestion! ;)

Stay nerdy,
lmp1341

Return to “Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”