A Saucy Thanksgiving
Cooking lets kids explore scientific concepts—with delicious results! Head to the kitchen this Thanksgiving for some tasty kitchen chemistry!
Through Thick and Thin
What would Thanksgiving be without cranberry sauce and gravy? These two condiments add flavor and moisture to turkey and mashed potatoes, and they can even disguise the taste of Brussels sprouts!
Ideally, cranberry sauce and gravy are thick and viscous, rather than thin and watery. So how do cooks transform the raw ingredients into sauces with the perfect texture? In the case of cranberry sauce, pectin in the fruit acts as a thickener, while creating the perfect gravy requires starch—usually from flour. Can you find the ideal combination of ingredients and cooking time to create yum-inducing sauces? Put on your chef's hat and give it a try with these Science Buddies activities:
- From Sauce to Solid: The Science of Cranberry Condiments
- Get Saucy with the Thickening Power of Starches
Students interested in science questions related to cooking or food science may also enjoy the following hands-on science project ideas:
- Abracadabra! Transforming Yogurt into 'Ravioli'
- Making Jell-o Stronger
- Juice Balls: The Science of Spherification
- What's the Point of Boiling?
- Which Fruits Can Ruin Your Gelatin Dessert?
Save Room for Dessert Science!
If pie or cheesecake is on the menu for your Thanksgiving celebration, don't miss these posts:
You Might Also Enjoy These Related Posts:
- 10 Reasons to Do the Fluor Challenge in Addition to $10,000 in Prizes!
- Women's History Month: 50+ Women in Science and Engineering to Learn More About
- Learn More About these 28 Scientists for Black History Month
- STEM is for Everyone: Jane Goodall, Zoologist
- Coding Activities for Beginners and Beyond
- STEM is for Everyone: Annie Jump Cannon, Classifier of Stars
- 2020 Nobel Science Experiments for K-12 Students
- Halloween STEM Activities
Explore Our Science Videos
Cotton Ball Launcher - Fun STEM Activity
Make Your Own Lava Lamp
5 Science Experiments You Can Do With Peeps