Boredom Busters: STEM Activities for End-of-Year Fun
As the end of the school year approaches, these activities can be great fillers in between testing, in odd spaces in your schedule, or just for general end-of-the-year fun.
8 Free STEM Ideas to Fill End-of-Year Time
The final weeks of the school year often mean varied schedules and pockets of time in the classroom that can be hard to fill. The activities featured here use simple materials and are easy to do with students even in small amounts of time. There are lots of other hands-on STEM activities we know could be on this list, too, but these rise to the top as crowd favorites and a fun way to say goodbye to the school year.
With cardboard tubes, rubber bands, and pencils, these cotton ball launchers are easy to make and a harmless way to let off some end-of-year steam. Our VP of STEM Education was thankful that this launcher uses lightweight cotton balls when her student used her as a target.
Make shadow puppets with student-drawn characters mounted on craft sticks and turn the lights off (and close the shades) for a fun exploration of shadows and storytelling. For other storytelling ideas, see the Imagine Your Story - STEM Activities for Storytellers of All Ages! collection. (Educators: NGSS-aligned lesson plan available!)
Wooden craft sticks, a plastic bottle lid, and rubber bands form the basis of an easy-to-make, compact launcher kids will love. Set up a target area for launching and up the math learning by having kids keep track of their launches so they can figure the median, mean, and mode! When this student built the popsicle stick launcher, part of the fun was testing the launcher with small objects from around the house.
You only need a few simple ingredients to mix up icky slime. Kids can build on the basic recipe to create their own custom formula. For more inspiration, see how this family made magnetic and 'fluffy' slime. (Educators: NGSS-aligned lesson plan available! Tip: have kids bring in a plastic container they can mix in and use to carry their slime home.)
Additional Science and Engineering Activities
For other fun ideas, see:
- 12 Engineering Design Challenges Perfect for Remote Learning
- 8 Free Science Activities with Toilet Paper Tubes
- 12 Activities and Lessons to Teach Potential and Kinetic Energy
- Thematic collections
- STEM Activities for Kids
You Might Also Enjoy These Related Posts:
- Art Experiments for Science Class
- 12 Paper STEM Activities!
- Teach About Newton's Laws of Motion
- Star Wars STEM Activities for May the 4th Be With You Science
- Paper Chromatography Science Projects & Experiments
- 20+ Earth Day Science Experiments and Activities
- Teach About Robotics with Free STEM Lessons & Activities
- Science Fair Projects to Explore the Science Behind Self-Driving Cars